Quicken is changing my payee and memo fields to N/A

Options
Ken2K
Ken2K Member ✭✭

This happen on all my accounts, but only certain trasactions. No matter what I change the Payee or memo to, Quicken changes it back to N/A. I have no renaming rules. This same question was asked last year and closed, even though the solution, Validate and Super Validate doesn't work.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

do yu think there is a chance the cloud file can re-corrupt my new file? The file I use is on my hard drive and I don't use the app. However, my data is saved to Quicken cloud.

A year ago I would have said yes but I think?? they finally have fixed the Copy routine so that it truly creates a New file not connected to the old file in any way. That said, the old cloud file will still be active for a time unless it is deleted. I would also delete any old backup files so as not to inadvertently restore from or open by mistake a corrupted file. Make sure you have automatic backups being saved for your new working file.

Answers

• Ken2K
    Ken2K Member ✭✭
    Options
    I got support on the phone and repeated all the trouble shooting while sharing the screen. The tech concluded the file is corrupt and my only option is to manually reenter the hundreds of transactions since the file was last good; sometime in the middle of 2022. Or I can start a new quicken data base and start over. I asked for a refund for my last subscription. The answer was NO since I am past the 30-day refund period. HaHa. They don't even guarantee their product for the full subscription period.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Ken2K,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. You mentioned you repeated all the troubleshooting while screen sharing. What troubleshooting steps, aside from Validate and Super Validate did you do? Did they have you try restoring from a more recent backup? If so, was the undesired behavior still happening in that backup? Did they have you try making a copy of your file and running a Validate on the copy?

If you haven't tried a more recent backup, that would be the next logical step. If you download most of your transactions using one step update and don't do very much manually, you should be able to go 30-90 days back without having to re-enter too many transactions manually. You can use this link for directions on restoring a backup. Once the backup is restored, you want to verify if the undesired behavior is happening. If it is, trying validating the file (File>Validate and Repair File, select Validate, and click OK. Once validate completes, close the notepad that comes up, close your Quicken, leave it closed a few seconds, then re-open it and test to see if the undesired behavior is still happening).

If restoring a more recent backup doesn't resolve the issue or if you tried that already, but haven't tried a copy, I would suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file. Doing so will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

Note: If you are not able to create a copy of your full data file, sometimes shrinking your file by changing the date range to a more recent date range can help. If you do have to do that, you can still access the original file for historical data.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Brenda E
    Brenda E Member
    Options

This is happening to me too!! It changes my Payee names to N/A for no reason! I do not have any renaming rules. After searching through this community, I found MANY people have reported this same issue & can't seem to get it fixed. This is obviously a bug in the Quicken system that needs to be fixed. Why has this not been fixed yet?? My data is being changed automatically (even after I fix it). This is so frustrating! Do something Quicken to resolve this issue.

• Ken2K
    Ken2K Member ✭✭
    Options
    Kristina, It took several hours, but your solution worked, thanks. Making a copy (not back up) of my file is what finally cleared the issue. I validated the original file, made a copy of it them validated it again. Then reconnected each account to the various institutions. This also cleared a problem where I had to reset each account every time I down loaded.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

I'm glad to hear that making a copy resolved the issue.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• markus1957
    Options

@Quicken Kristina , with respect to @Ken2K fix, would it be wise to also recommend opening the old file copy and deactivating each of those accounts from online services?

Particularly if Mobile/Web apps are being used, the old cloud account is going to continue to be making download requests from his banks/credit cards to update the old cloud file. Further, once the new file copy is deemed functional, he should delete the old file name cloud account under Preferences>Cloud Accounts in the new file copy. That will ensure his new file copy is the only one making update requests to his FIs.

• Ken2K
    Ken2K Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @markus1957 said:
    > @Quicken Kristina , with respect to @Ken2K fix, would it be wise to also recommend opening the old file copy and deactivating each of those accounts from online services?
    >
    > Particularly if Mobile/Web apps are being used, the old cloud account is going to continue to be making download requests from his banks/credit cards to update the old cloud file. Further, once the new file copy is deemed functional, he should delete the old file name cloud account under Preferences>Cloud Accounts in the new file copy. That will ensure his new file copy is the only one making update requests to his FIs.

@markus1957 do yu think there is a chance the cloud file can re-corrupt my new file? The file I use is on my hard drive and I don't use the app. However, my data is saved to Quicken cloud.
  • markus1957
    Answer ✓
    Options

do yu think there is a chance the cloud file can re-corrupt my new file? The file I use is on my hard drive and I don't use the app. However, my data is saved to Quicken cloud.

A year ago I would have said yes but I think?? they finally have fixed the Copy routine so that it truly creates a New file not connected to the old file in any way. That said, the old cloud file will still be active for a time unless it is deleted. I would also delete any old backup files so as not to inadvertently restore from or open by mistake a corrupted file. Make sure you have automatic backups being saved for your new working file.

• Ken2K
    Ken2K Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken creates a myriad of dat, DAT, txt, log files. Can I safely delete everything except the .QDF file that I want to keep?
  • markus1957
    Options

You can delete files with your old file name and .dat or .txt extensions. In the backup folder, delete the backups under the old file name.

This discussion has been closed.