Why did the descriptions in this months invoices get deleted?

Options
My business has 5 clients, each month I copy the previous month's client invoice and paste it as a new invoice. I edit each invoices date, invoice number, and one line (as a Description) where I put the current month and year.

This month I proof read each Invoice Image and they appeared to look perfect, but when I emailed the invoices to the clients the PDF blanked out EVERY LINE DESCRIPTION except for the month and year that I newly edited. It left all the amounts properly intact, but it deleted the written Description portion. The image preview looked perfect, and thats what I use to proof each invoice before I send it. It was just he PDF that was bonked. So I wound up sending a gibberish invoice to each client, with no line item descriptions and just dollar amounts.

I wonder if this is maybe a flaw in the the new feature added this past month that lets us edit the Invoice template? I did play around with that feature. How do I fix this? Is this a bug?
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hello @ChetOrSteve,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. I tried to see if I could replicate the issue by creating an invoice and emailing it to myself. Is this sample image similar to what your customers said they were seeing?

The image in the email displays that way, but there should also be a .pdf attachment that displays the full information. Could you try sending an invoice to yourself to see if the attachment is there and displaying correctly?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• ChetOrSteve
    ChetOrSteve Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, please see the attached capture. It IS the PDF attachment that I'm posting about. The email looked fine, just like your test one above. But the PDF scraped the "DESCRIPTION" fields clean. There should be a written description, a line of text, to the left of each of the six amounts you see to the right. Those lines got wiped clean (except for the date I edited from the pasted copy of the previous month). The original paste had Feb 2023 and I successfully edited that line to read Mar 2023. Everything looked correct on the image and even all the other data copied over (Customer name, address, total mounts, etc.

Thanks for trying to replicate. Please try Copying an old invoice and pasting it to make a new one. Then edit the new one. Save it. (The image may look fine) Email it, but click on that PDF and see if it matches the image or if the line descriptions are missing. Thank you again!
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I followed the steps you gave me to replicate the issue, but I didn't get the same result. I copied, edited, and saved the invoice multiple times, emailed to myself, and the description field is still displaying properly.

To troubleshoot the issue you're running into, we will want to start by Validating the file. Before running the Validate, it is strongly recommended that you backup your Quicken file. Then follow these steps:

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. (You can test this by emailing an invoice to yourself and seeing if it displays properly)

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate. Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. (You can test this by emailing an invoice to yourself and seeing if it displays properly)

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• ChetOrSteve
    ChetOrSteve Member ✭✭
    Options
    I validated and supevalidated OK, but but neither fixed the pdf. I even tried toggling the templates, which is the only thing I've fiddle with in the past month, and I could copy/paste invoices just fine in previous months. To summarize, the image preview shows me a proper invoice, but the PDF only shows me the line that one line that I edited that month (which is the name of the month).
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

The next step would be restore a backup from before the issue started and see if the issue happens in the restored file. If that does not resolve the issue or is not a viable solution, please let me know.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• ChetOrSteve
    ChetOrSteve Member ✭✭
    Options
    To clarify when I said 'image preview' above I meant Display Form. Also note if I am in Display Form and click on the printer, and then click Preview, the Descriptions are missing (except for the month that I edited), just like the PDF, as you might expect.
This discussion has been closed.