Rental Dashboard does not show rents received from split transactions.

Options

I read the discussion where it was recommended to use split transactions to record the details on net rents from property management companies.

What I have seen when using the split transactions to break down rents and expenses received from a property management company, is that the rents received will not show in the Rental dashboard. I notice that if I put transactions into split, they will also not show up in the Schedule E report, causing a misreporting. I am not sure if I am missing anything on how it to make that work.

If I record a rent recevied as a singular transaction it will show on the dashboard and reports correctly, but it will not work with split transactions. Is there a way to to make that work? Do I need to break down and enter all transactions into a dummy account and then somehow clear this account to show the net? It seems that there must be a way to make this work. Unless there is a limitiation or bug in the system that is causing this.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

I am using Quicken Home, Business, and Rental Property.

Comments

• cmmirkovich
    cmmirkovich Member ✭✭
    Options

I am planning to enter all the transactions from the property management company into an "undeposited funds account" , and then clear that account once a month once the deposit and reporting is available from the management company. I figure this will allow me to capture the reporting correctly.

The deposits and expenses come from multiple buildings. I feel like this should be the best alternative.

Is this this the right approach?

• Chris Roat
    Chris Roat Member ✭✭
    Options

I am seeing the same problem, even after moving the account to the Rental Property intent.

In my RENTAL tab, the tenant is listed as making payments under Unknown Property (in addition to being correctly listed under the correct property, as well, albeit with zero payment).

Of note is that the tenant is in a unit of the property. The second unit is handled properly with a tenant whose payment does not require a split.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Chris Roat,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. This seems to be a limitation in the Rental Property section of Quicken. There are a couple older posts that may give useful information on how to work around this:

Rental Property Deposits Split Transactions

Splitting Expenses to Properties

I hope that helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.