EWC and EWC+ freezes program

ewc and ewc+ freezes the program but direct connect accounts work.

Comments

• Hello @johnfbrown,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue start? Is the program freezing when you're trying to add the accounts, when you're trying to update the accounts, or at some other point? Was there anything that happened just before the issue started, such as a power surge, power outage, update, unexpected program or computer shutdown, etc? Do you keep your Quicken file directly on your C: drive, or is it on a shared network drive, or on a cloud drive (like OneDrive or Dropbox)?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• johnfbrown
    johnfbrown Member ✭✭

It started 3/29/2023 after I tried to authorize my american express accounts. I was able to add a new wells fargo account account, but I cannot update any accounts by EWC or EWC+. Program freezes when I try. No power surges or outages. It is on C drive.

• Thank you for your response,

I recommend that you try validating and/or super validating your data file. It is wise to first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• johnfbrown
    johnfbrown Member ✭✭
    I tried both validate and super validate. The update worked for the direct connect accounts but froze on EWC and EWC+ accounts.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited April 2023

Thank you for your response,

Since validate/super validate did not correct the issue, the next step would be to restore a backup from before the issue started, if possible. Then check to see if the issue persists in the restored file. If this is not possible, please let me know.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• johnfbrown
    johnfbrown Member ✭✭
    I was able to restore back to 3/27. I did a one-step update and was able to get most of my accounts. However, a download from Schwab was posted to my Citizens account. There were many double posts to other accounts. Thank you for your continued assistance.
  • Thank you for your reply,

Did this happen with accounts you needed to reconnect in the restored file? If so, it sounds like that Schwab account may have gotten linked to an incorrect account.

If you haven't already corrected it, you can deactivate the account it incorrectly connected to, then go to Tools>Add Account, search for your financial institution and follow the prompts to reconnect it. When you get to the Add/Link screen in Quicken, it is important to make sure it is seeing the correct nickname in Quicken and showing Link to existing for the action (see sample image below).

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• johnfbrown
    johnfbrown Member ✭✭
    It seems like the Schwab account is causing problems. I tried to reconnect it and it said I needed to authorize it. When I reauthorized it the program froze. Schwab shows it is authorized. My bank accounts show that they are updating but they are not.
  • johnfbrown
    johnfbrown Member ✭✭
    I tried to reconnect the Schwab account again. The nickname came up to another different account. I cancel the attempt.
  • johnfbrown
    johnfbrown Member ✭✭
    Why doesn't the correct nickname come up? How do I correct this??
  • Thank you for your response,

If its not letting you connect to the correct nickname in quicken, you will want to verify that account doesn't think its already connected. To verify that, go to Tools>Account List. Scroll down to the account you're trying to link to and look in the Transaction Download column. If Quicken thinks the account is connected, you will see "yes" in that column.

If you see "yes" in that column, you will need to deactivate the account.

Once you have verified the account is not connected, you would want to connect the account by going to Tools>Add Account, search for the financial institution, and follow the prompts to reconnect (Note: Make sure you are using Tools>Add account and not using the Set up Now button from the account details window). Once you're back at the Add/Link screen in Quicken, check to make sure it is seeing the correct account to connect to this time.

Please let me know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.