How do I get Check # column to remember transaction type when automated bills & Income are entered

Options

In my checking account there is a column named Check # that has a pull down menu showing Next Check Num;
ATM; Deposit; Print Check; Transfer; Debit. How do get this column to remember one of these listed items so they are automatically entered when automated bills & Income are entered on the due date selected?

Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @dmwill3,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. To clarify, are you asking how to get that field to automatically populate when a bill reminder goes into your register? If that is what you're asking, the answer is it won't automatically populate when the reminder goes into your register, but when the cleared transaction downloads (or is imported via .QFX file), it should reflect the information that came from the financial institution.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• dmwill3
    dmwill3 Member
    Options

Yes, I am asking how to get Check # field to automatically populate when a bill reminder goes into register.

The Check # used to populate when bill or deposit went into register.

Now some automatically populatge and others I have to enter manjually.

Why can't Quicken be programed to automatically fill Check # field like it use to from automatic entries?

What is the point in automatic entries if it is not fully automated?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

What financial institution(s) do you use for your payment account? Are the bill reminders only reminders, or do you use bill pay through Quicken? If you do bill pay through Quicken, is it Direct Connect bill pay, Check Pay, or Quick Pay? Was there anything that changed recently with your payment financial institution, for instance, did the connection with the financial institution change?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• dmwill3
    dmwill3 Member
    Options

Park Community Credit Union. I do not download anything from them. Everything I do is manually done by me.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

You mentioned that it used to automatically fill in the information, but now it has become sporadic. Do you recall when it changed? Was there anything that happened just before it changed, such as a power outage, power surge, update, unexpected program or computer shut down, etc? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or on a shared network drive? Is it synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (Note: if it is synced with those services, you will often see the service name reflect in your file path)? The simplest way to check your file location, if you are in your Quicken and have the file open, is to click on File, and look near the bottom of the list, just above Exit. It will list the file paths for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you're currently in at the #1 spot (see sample image below).

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• dmwill3
    dmwill3 Member
    Options

Quicken is on my C drive. No shared network drive.

It is not synced with any cloud service of any type.

My quicken file is in # 1 position.

I have tried using the memorize payee list for each item that don't autofill the Check #, but I don't know what that is really supposed to do and it don't fix this problem.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

The memorized payee list allows you to save frequently used information so you don't have to re-enter it every time. It generally doesn't have any impact on automatic entries you have set up through the Bills & Income tab.

If you choose to set up your bills and/or income reminders to just remind rather than automatically go in the register, then reminders will show up in a section below the register and when you hit the Enter button, you have have the chance to tell it what information to put in the Check # column since the Method/Check field is what will populate into the Check # field in your register (see sample images below).

Was that how you had it set up previously?

Another option that allows you to use the memorized payee list to autofill in bill information is Tools>Calendar. In the Calendar view, click on Options and make sure there is a checkmark next to Show Memorized Payee List. That will allow you to drag and drop memorized payees directly onto your calendar. It will give you the same Enter Expense Transaction window, but will generally have the Method/Check field already filled in for anything except check number.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.