Quicken H&B Shuts Down during online update

Options
sufferer
sufferer Member ✭✭

Running Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property, and during my last 4-5 updates Quicken seems to shut down (application closes) during the update process. On restarting the application, Update Summary gives no indication of any updates having taken place (Last Update date hasn't changed). Doing another update seems to always go through the second time. No error messages or crash report, program just closes. Not a huge problem, just annoying, running Version R48.15, Build 27.1.48.15.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @sufferer,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. About how many days ago did this issue start? Was there anything that happened just before this started happening, such as a power outage, power surge, update, unexpected program or computer shut down, etc? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive, or is it on a shared network drive? Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as OneDrive or Dropbox?

The simplest way to check your file location if you are currently in your Quicken and have the file open is to click on File and look down towards the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit. The file showing in the #1 spot is the file you are in and it will show the file path there (see sample image below). If you see OneDrive or Dropbox in the file path, then your file is on the cloud drive rather than on your C drive.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• sufferer
    sufferer Member ✭✭
    Options
    I believe it started on Tuesday of last week, so less than a week. It may be coincidence, but it started right after the Fidelity OL-220 download errors STOPPED occurring, but the crashes occur after the Fidelity download is already completed (green), and the one step download was on other accounts. Nothing else, such as power outage, power surge, update, unexpected program or computer shut down occurred and the file is located on a local encrypted drive, where it has resided for years. Restarting the program and performing a second one step download seems to always result in a successful update.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Since this may be a file specific issue, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

If you see OneDrive or Dropbox in the file path, then your file is on the cloud drive rather than on your C drive.

For clarity, at least with respect to OneDrive, the file would still be located and used on the C: drive, but then sync'd with a cloud file copy. I have noticed that a recent update causes Quicken to crash during OSU when OneDrive is active so I have been pausing OneDrive before opening Quicken.

Before the recent update, I used Quicken with OneDrive active during OSU and only had issues when Quicken pushed surprise updates. It seems Quicken has changed the timing of files locks; releasing the Quicken file during OSU so OneDrive begins to sync. Then, before the sync is complete, Quicken tries to access the file again and crashes because OneDrive has a lock on it. IMO, Quicken processes should not be unlocking the file for access by other software when it will be trying to access it again in a few seconds. The root cause is a failure to communicate between Quicken and OneDrive.

• sufferer
    sufferer Member ✭✭
    Options
    First/"standard" Validate and Repair File seems to have fixed the problem. Thank You!
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear the issue is resolved.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.