After Reauthorizing AMEX credit card, historical payments are gone

Options

I just went through the reauthorizing my American Express credit card with the Windows software. However, now my balance is showing WAY off for the card. I looked at the data, and any payments made between Feb 2022 and March 2023 are missing.

How am I supposed to fix this? I thought about manually entereing the data, but this should just work - I shouldn't have to manually enter data. It also makes me nervous that other things are missing from the records too, not just those payments.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @CFquickuser,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. The first thing to check is if it linked to the correct account. You can do that by going to Tools>Account List. Did any extra American Express accounts appear in your account list?

If it did link to the correct account, double check sort order and filters to verify if the data went missing or is just hidden.

If the data is actually missing, then the simplest solution would be to restore a recent backup from before the issue started.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• CFquickuser
    CFquickuser Member
    Options

Yes, the correct American Express account appears there. The sort order is correct and there are no filters. But even if they were there, that wouldn't affect the balance. The balance is off by the amount equal to the missing payments.

How do I restore a recent backup, if the issue was caused by the new authentication system used for American Express? Meaning, wouldn't the backup include the wrong connection, and therefore have to go through the same process all over again (including losing the previous payments that missing now)?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

If the problem started when you reauthorized American Express and you restore a backup from before that happened, then it would still see the old connection method and prompt you to reauthorize again. If those historical payments went missing due to a one time problem when you were reauthorizing, then reauthorizing in restored file should correct it.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• CFquickuser
    CFquickuser Member
    Options

Thank you so much for your reply!

Because I only use Quicken in the online (browser) app (usually - had to install the desktop version to do this new account connection with the American Express card), I did not have a recent backup unfortunately. :(

Is there any way I can remove and then readd the American Express CC so that all data is imported, but ALSO have all the tags, comments, and attachments I have on all the transactions within Quicken that are there now, be applied to the American Express transactions after readding it?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

It wouldn't be able to automatically download anything that doesn't come in from the financial institution. Since Quicken treats the desktop version as the master version of the file, it would not pull that info in from Quicken on the Web; it would be more likely to update the online version with what showed in your Quicken file on your computer.

We can try to force Quicken to pull in the information that went missing (keep in mind that if successful, this would just force it to redownload the transactions and would not be able to restore any information that was added afterwards). First, make a backup of your Quicken file. Then, go to Edit>Preferences>Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts. You should see a blue link there that says Sign in as a different user.

Click that link. A confirmation window will come up. Type "yes" in the textbox and click the Sign Out button.

Quicken will log you out, then return to the login screen. Before logging back in, close Quicken and leave it closed for at least 5 seconds. Then, reopen Quicken. Once it finishes loading, it will bring you back to the login screen. Log in using your Quicken ID and password.

Once you are logged back in, use One Step Update to update your accounts. It will take longer to do this update since logging out and closing the program clears out the memory, forcing it to re-compare to the items in your register.

Once it finishes updating, check to see if it did pull in the missing transactions.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• CFquickuser
    CFquickuser Member
    Options

Thanks again for your fast reply!

I finished the steps you outlined above, and the missing transactions did not show up.

So I am at a loss right now. My first thought was that maybe since being forced to switch to this new Express Web Connect, that it only goes back so far for downloading transactions, but it did download the charges (negative transactions).

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

Most financial institutions go 30-90 days back when downloading. Also, it wouldn't make sense for only the payments during that timeframe to be missing. The next step would be to check if this is a file specific issue. To do that, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file. First save a backup file prior to performing these steps. Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• CFquickuser
    CFquickuser Member
    Options

I performed the Validate and when Quicken reopened, the issue remained.

I performed the Super Validate and when Quicken reopened, the issue remained.

:(

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Since you already said restoring a backup isn't an option, the next step is try creating a copy of your data file which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.