Charge columns). Obviously, this is not a sustainable solution. How can i
correct the account Nickname in Quicken field? Thanks for any
assistance.

Norman

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Norman O,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. If you are just trying to change the nickname in Quicken for an account, go to Tools>Account List. Select the Edit button next to the account you need to edit. In the General tab, at the upper left, you will see a textbox labeled Account name. Edit/change the name to what you want it to be and click the OK button.

From what you were describing, it sounds more like when you were connecting your accounts, one of them got connected to an old checking account instead of the account it should have connected to. If that is the case, you can correct it by backing up your Quicken file, then deactivating the incorrect account it is currently downloading into. Then, go to Tools>Add Account and select your financial institution. Follow the prompts. When you get to the Add/Link screen in Quicken, it is very important that you make sure it is seeing the correct nickname in Quicken and shows the Action as Link to existing.

If it is not seeing the correct nickname in Quicken, click the dropdown in the Action section, select Link to existing, then select the correct nickname from the list.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Norman O
    Norman O Member ✭✭
    Options

Kristina,

Thank you for the specific instructions. I deactivated the old checking account (which I want to keep deactivated as far as downloads are concerned) and deactivated the credit card account with the wrong nickname. I then tried to add that credit card account back in but when I got to the Action Drop Down list, the credit card account does not appear in that list. Not clear how to proceed.

Norman

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

When you are trying to link the account, what account type is it showing? If it is showing Checking, then it may not want to let you choose a credit card account. If that is what is happening, try changing the action to Add to Quicken, and see if that lets you change the account type to Credit Card. If it lets you change the account type, then go back over to the action column, click on Add to Quicken, change it back to Link to existing, and see if the correct nickname is now available.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Norman O
    Norman O Member ✭✭
    Options
    In the Account Details screen (reached from the Edit button on the account list page) type is listed as credit card. But if I try to activate downloads for that credit card account which includes reconnecting to USAA, in the pop up screen to Activate One Step Update, that same account is listed as type: checking. If I try the Add to Quicken drop-down option, the nickname is now correct (showing the credit card account) but the account type drop down only allows Checking and Savings, no Credit Card.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

Since its seeing the wrong kind of account and won't let you change it, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file. Please first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Norman O
    Norman O Member ✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunately, neither Validate nor Super Validate changed anything. Even though the account type did not allow me to select Credit Card in the Activate One Step Update screen, I went ahead and activated this credit card account set as Checking. Downloads appear to be going to the right accounts. Hopefully, I am getting what I need but it is frustrating. It seems whenever the connections between Quicken and my financial institutions are changed, bad things happen. This is not the first time. Thanks for your help.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

I'm glad you were at least able to get it connected and downloading. If you wish to continue troubleshooting, the next step would be restoring a backup from before the issue started and checking to see if the issue persists in the newly restored file.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.