How do I create a new subcategory?

Options

I seem to be having an issue creating a new subcatagory in an existing catagory. The catagory I am trying to modify is just called "Insurance". It has 2 existing subcatagories already. It seems like Quicken wants me to select wheter the new catagory is income or expense and then chose the what the new entry is a subcatagory of. Unfortunately, the program only lets you select one radio button and the catagory dropdown list only shows a limited selection. How do I get around this? I recall this being a bit easier to do. Any ideas?

Best Answer

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I wonder if this is the same issue described in another thread (which I currently can't find).

Click CNTL-C and scroll from the very top of the category list. is there an entry that is just 'weird'. Might begin with numbers or a pound sign as I recall. Try to find that and delete it.

now try and add your sub-category. does it work?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

This is often an artifact of Validate & Repair leaving a category named something like "ACCT_wxyz" in the list. This was from a temporary account and should be deleted.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• OscaDaFett
    OscaDaFett Member
    Options

I had one entry called "acct_10882". I deleted the entry and the program started to behave as normal. Thanks for the help!

• Beth Wetherbee
    Beth Wetherbee Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I found a weird category called ACCT_135e9 and deleted it, but I still can't see the full list of categories in the Subcategory list. I've done a Validate and a Super Validate, exited, re-examined the Category list. Still having the same issue. Any other ideas?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is there more than one ACCT_xxxx category?
    Is there a duplicate category name in the list?

When viewing the Category List, make sure it is

• set to "Show Full List" and
    • "[x] Show hidden categories" and
    • sorted by category name and
    • you have selected "All Categories" in the left sidebar

• Beth Wetherbee
    Beth Wetherbee Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, I did all that and went back through the list again. I found a few categories with colons in them (for example Fed:Fed) and deleted those. I also found an account name with &amp-#174- in it and fixed that. I Validated my file again. I still can't see the full list of Categories in the Subcategory list. Other ideas?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can only guess that there must still be another one (or more) bad categories in the list.

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone during posted hours of operation and request help. Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

On other discussions on this issue, users have worked around the issue by temporarily renaming the parent category to start with a letter early in the alphabet, like A. This puts the parent category any or near the top of the category list, so it's in the list of parent categories in the sub-category window.

Another workaround:

In the Category List, right-click the category you want to create a sub-category for. 

In the resulting dropdown menu, select "New subcategory". The "New Category" dialog will open with the parent-category-to-be already selected in the "Subcategory of" dropdown. Then you can just enter the name of the new sub-category in the Category Name field and click OK.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Beth Wetherbee
    Beth Wetherbee Member ✭✭
    Options
    @mshiggins Why didn't I think of that? I did the renaming trick and got it fixed. @UKR when I have more time I'll contact Quicken support to see what the permanent solution is. Gotta get taxes done right now tho! Thank you both!
This discussion has been closed.