When archiving USD investment register, the archived register is somehow made to be CAD! (Q Win Can)

Options
questionsforever
questionsforever Member ✭✭✭✭

When I go to archive a US investment register, the new register created (XYZ-Archive) is a Canadian currency register! I don't understand how this transformation occurs automatically but it screws everything up as you can't edit anything (the security symbols are from wrong country/currency). The transfers from the US dollar original register seem to be the correct sums. Is there a way to convert the cad register back to a usd archived register?

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @questionsforever,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. What process are you using to archive the register? Is this affecting just one account or are multiple accounts experiencing this issue?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• questionsforever
    Options

i am going to the USD investment register and clicking archive. the archived register is cad currency. i didn't try it with a new file.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Do you have Multicurreny support turned on in your Quicken? To check, you would go to Edit>Preferences>Calendar and currency.

If it is not turned on, that may be one factor causing the issue. Another thing that can cause the issue is if you have CAD set as your home currency (you will see a green checkmark in the Home column of the currency list next to your home currency), that may cause the archive to change the currency to CAD even though the account is in USD. The work around for that issue is first backup your file, then go to Tools>Currency List, select USD, and click the Home button to temporarily set that as your home currency. Archive the USD investment, then change your home currency back to CAD.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

@Quicken Kristina: this issue has been posted in "All Things Canadian"; hence, I am going to assume that the original poster is using the Canadian Edition. The Preference Setting you referenced does NOT exist in the Canadian version. Furthermore, the idea of a "home currency" also does NOT exist in the Canadian version. There are a few notable and important differences in currency handling between the US and CAD editions.

• questionsforever
    edited April 2023
    Options
    1. You mean the US version has multi-currency support for Canadian dollar accounts too??

2. I have tested this Bug on a new quicken file, fresh. I made a US$ register and bought and sold a stock. I then archived it.

3. Upon completion, the archived register is in CANADIAN DOLLARS!! You archive a US register and it erroneously creates a Canadian currency register?

Your Quicken technicians might want to take a look at this.

I am not sure how it affects reports since the archived register should be the same currency as the original register.

And yes, I am using the Canadian edition.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

Not sure who you are directing this question to, but the CAD version has some currency functionality that does not exist in the US version and the US version allows selection of the "home" currency, whereas in the CAD version the home currency is locked to CAD.

If you are wondering whether Canadians can use the US version, that is generally problematic because of the limitations on transaction download support from financial institutions.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

I tested this issues by archiving one of my USD investment accounts in the Canadian version of Quicken and the archive process worked and the original account remained in USD, but the new archived account is in CAD, which is obviously a bug.

• questionsforever
    Options

I can also confirm all the reports are damaged by this wrong currency of archiving US registers. The reports now exchange what was a US dollar transaction and figures into Canadian figures but do so at 1:1, so that all the past capital gains reports, etc.. are wrong.

Unfortunately I have deleted my backup pre-archive so this bug is really quite serious. I hope it gets fixed.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but based on my experience, the time it takes Quicken to address issues like this with the Canadian edition tends to be measured in years. Quicken's track record with fixing bugs and performance issues in the Canadian edition is abysmal.

• questionsforever
    Options

I wonder if it is a version issue. I notice the US edition has a newer version #. perhaps it is already fixed but needs to be ported. Not quite sure why the US edition is a few versions newer since it can be released in parallel. I think the Canadian edition was sold to a third party and is not part of Intuit anymore? But they seem to still be sharing the code-base on updates. Instead of trivial window dressing like GUI 'enhancements', how about some core functionality/bug fixes for the 5-15% subscription price increases every year?

• Arctic Hare
    edited April 2023
    Options

Intuit sold off Quicken - all of Quicken - years ago. Quicken, an independent company held by an equity investment company, uses Intuit as its data aggregator. The current Canadian version # is always a different version # from the US version. Intuit still has the Quickbooks product, but Quicken is no longer an Intuit product; again, the only connection Quicken has to Intuit is Quicken purchases it data aggregation services from Intuit - all clould stuff.

FWIW, I would recommend not using the archive feature at all. Use a computer with sufficient performance capability that archiving is not necessary. I never archive, have a large file, and have no plans to archive. This is no excuse for a bug, but Quicken's archive and year end copy functions have been the source of more problems than benefits.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

Exactly my point… they have never had the same current version # simultaneously. The point is, don't expect the current version # for the Canadian edition to be the same as the current version # of the US edition to be the same at any given instant. Maybe they will be some day in the future, but that hasn't been true in the past… or if it ever has been true as an anomoly, it is not normal/typical. I did not indicate that the Canadian edition never uses a version number that the US edition did the past.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.

(CTP-6542)

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.