Windows 11 Security Changed - Quicken accessing data file SLOWLY

Options
InkPen
InkPen Member ✭✭

Windows 11 had a popup asking me to enable: Core isolation: Kernal-mode Hardware-enforced Stack Protection. After doing this Quicken opens quickly but time to access Quicken data has degraded in a big way.

My solution: 1) disable this Win11 security feature, 2) validate file, investments, & repair price hx, and 3) uninstall Quicken, reboot, and install fresh copy from Quicken website. Each solution was accompanied by PC reboot & sfc /scannow & retest of problem.

None of these solutions were effective. Is anyone else noticing this?

Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @InkPen,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. I use Windows 11 and not had this issue. You said the program itself is coming up Quickly, but the file is taking a long time to load? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)?  The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• InkPen
    InkPen Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken Premier program is installed on the local C: SSD and Quicken data files are located on the D: local drive. Nothing related to Quicken is in the OneDrive, Dropbox or any cloud drive. I suspect the latest Windows 11 Update is the root cause of this.

Quicken Premier is really slow in accessing the data file, but performs acceptably once the data is in view.

Have also reviewed Startup programs, ran performance monitor, and defraged both drives. Although Microsoft Store accesses my app library slowly, everything else on this PC appears ok. There are no unusal event errors.

Kristinia, thank you for your input & time.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

It is recommended that you keep the Quicken file(s) that you are using on the same hard drive as the program is installed on. If you haven't already tried it, would you try moving your Quicken file to your C drive to see if that improves performance?

If that doesn't work or if that is not a viable solution, then the next step would be restoring a backup from before the issue started and testing to see if the slow opening happens in the backup also.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• InkPen
    InkPen Member ✭✭
    Options

Used Quicken's "Copy or Backup File" to create a fresh copy in a different location on D drive & restored it from there. It currently takes 39 seconds to show any data at all in Quicken Premier. Created a "dummy account" in C drive and access time is 34 seconds. Program opening used to be immediate.

Have done 2 clean installs of Quicken Premier, and both times Microsoft security has asked for approval of the Quicken patch file & could I send them a copy (I did). As a side note, a Malwarebytes scan showed PC is clean.

Microsoft has recently implemented Kernel-mode Hardware-enforced Stack Protection,' while removing the LSA protection feature, and I believe this is the root cause of my Quicken problem. Uninstalling the last Windows 11 update did not resolve this situation.

Kristina, thanks again for your response.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Have you tested on an alternate device (if available) or by creating a new admin profile on the existing computer? That can help narrow down if its some setting or conflicting program unique to your profile on that computer or if its more universal.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• InkPen
    InkPen Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken was ran on the same PC under a new admin profile with new data file (C: drive). Program loading time did not meaningfully improve.

Really you appreciate the ideas you have provided, but have decided to live with the 36-38 minute load time for now. In a few months, will do a clean install of Win 11 hoping for a better outcome. Still believe this has more to do with Microsoft than Quicken.

Thank you Kristina

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Was it 36-38 seconds or 36-38 minutes? If its the latter, you may want to reach out to Microsoft for further assistance.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• InkPen
    InkPen Member ✭✭
    Options

It was 36-38 seconds. Not a major problem but Quicken ran so much faster before the last Win 11 update.

• InkPen
    InkPen Member ✭✭
    Options

Problem Resolved: I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter (settings/other troubleshooters/windows update) to see if this had anything to do with it taking Quicken 38 seconds to show data. To my surprise, the troubleshooter found a problem and corrected it. Quicken now loads all of its data in 6 seconds. My PC had no known problems prior to this troubleshooter.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

I'm glad to hear you found the issue.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.