Duplicate Billers After Upgrading to R49.22

Options
jpatton1979
jpatton1979 Member ✭✭

After upgrading to R49.22 I now have duplicate entries for billers on the Bills & Income tab. However, I only have one entry for each biller in Settings → Manage Online billers.

How do I remove the duplicate billers?

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @jpatton1979,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. What you're describing sounds like it may be a file specific issue. Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)?  The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jpatton1979
    jpatton1979 Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello @Quicken Kristina ,

There is only one file listed, and it is on my C:\ in my OneDrive folder. Full disclosure, I've been using this path for years and it wasn't an issue until recently.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Its generally a good idea to at least pause the cloud service while you are using the Quicken file. This article provides more information.

To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest you try to Review and Repair Online billers. However, I do recommend that you save a backup of your data file first.  After that, please navigate to the Bills & Income tab and click on the gear icon on the top-right. Then, click on Review and Repair > Review and Repair Online Billers in the dropdown menu.

Once that is done, see if the duplicate entries are removed.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• jpatton1979
    jpatton1979 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunately, that did not fix the issue.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• jpatton1979
    jpatton1979 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Neither Validating nor Super Validating fixed the issue.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

The next step is to restore a backup from before the issue started (if possible). Then, check to see if the issue is still happening in the newly restored file.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• jpatton1979
    jpatton1979 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Will this affect any pending Bill Pay transactions in the register? If I did a One Step Update would they show back up?
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Any Bill Pay transaction that has already been scheduled should not be impacted by restoring a backup. Bill Pay goes through a 3rd party and Direct Connect Bill Pay goes directly through your financial institution, so once the signal is sent to them, restoring a backup won't unsend that. One Step Update should be able to pull in whatever information your financial institution makes available. If you use Direct Connect Bill Pay, I would expect those pending transactions to return.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• jpatton1979
    jpatton1979 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I restored a backup prior to the upgrade and still had duplicate bill. I then restored to a backup I took today and did some more testing. I removed one online biller as a test and it left behind a manual bill/reminder. I re-added the online biller without linking it to the reminder and I had two items for that biller. After linking the reminder to the online biller, the icon changed for the reminder and there were now two items (I'm guessing the reminder and biller should've "merged" into one item, but didn't).
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

I tried to replicate the issue by following the same steps you described, but when I did it, the manual and online bills did merge. To continue troubleshooting, I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.
    If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• jpatton1979
    jpatton1979 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Creating a copy seems to have fixed the issue. The only issue now three of the online billers have a "Fix It" button, but when I hover over the exception icon to the left of the biller the message is "Quicken is connecting to your biller...." and the message says the next amount due is not yet available. So not sure if this is an actual issue or not.

Thanks for your assistance!
  • jpatton1979
    jpatton1979 Member ✭✭
    Options
    One last question. Would there be any issues if I modify the Dataset Name (Preferences -> Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts) or remove the now unused/unneeded Cloud Account/datafile?
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

I'm glad making a copy seems to have worked so far. There shouldn't be any issues if you change the name or remove the unneeded cloud account data file.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.