New report feature in R49.22 isn't working.

Options
Snowman
Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2023 in Reports (Windows)

The release notes above about this new feature does not work. I have Quicken for PC on Windows 10. Double clicking a column does not expand the column in my case, it further shrinks it. If I go to Reports > Net Worth > Account Balances the account column needs to be expanded. When double click is expands some but does not expand to show the complete column.

The release notes also state that changes made to the column width on reports are now saved immediately without waiting until the report is closed. If I close the above report the not quite fully expanded column IS NOT saved and it is back to the original display.

Any thoughts??

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What I am seeing on the Account Balances report is that if I double click inside the column header, not on the separator, the column expands or shrinks to fit the data. After making changes to the column width in the built-in report, it prompts me to save it in My Saved Reports, ust as it would if I had customized the report in some other way. This behavior seems good to me, but it is not as described in the Release notes.

Reports like the Banking Transaction report, where clicking inside the column header sorts on that column and reverses the sort order if you click again, do something different with the column width that I have not been able to figure out yet.

In the banking Transaction report, column width changes by clicking and dragging on the separator are saved in the built-in report without a prompt. This hsas been working this way for some time, and is good because a filtered version of this report is what is displayed when you drill down to see the transactions in other reports.

QWin Premier subscription
  • jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Another observation/question:

R49.22 now added an option in Net Worth and Balances reports to exclude the accounts with zero balances under the Customize | Display tab. To exclude, I'm not sure if this needs checked? In my reports of this type, it is unchecked and yet zero balance accounts still show up.

This is good, as I want zero balance accounts to show. I manually clean them out of reports each December.

Not sure if or how this new feature works, but want my zero balance accounts to show up in these types of reports.

Quicken Deluxe for Windows. Latest subscription version. I've been a user for decades.

- Jim S.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

According to the change description, to get the new feature, aren't you supposed to double-click on the column separator line "|" when the mouse pointer has changed to ""? Clicking or double-clicking within the column title does something else.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

@UKR That is my point. In the Account Balances report, double clicking on the double arrow does not do anything. Clicking and dragging on the double arrow adjusts the column width as it always has. To auto-adjust the width, you double click on the header, contrary to what the release notes say.

In the Banking Transaction report and other reports that support sorting by clicking on the column header, double clicking on the header does not auto-adust the width.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

@jimshu1 What I am seeing in the Account Balances and Net Worth reports is that there is a new "Zero-balance accounts" checkbox on the Display cutomization tab. If the box is un-checked (the default), accounts whose balance was zero at the end of the reporting period are excluded.

If the box is checked, all selected accounts are included.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It feels like I need to triple-click the separator to have it auto-adjust, as if one of the clicks is getting lost.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I show zero balance accounts with the new option box unchecked. I think it depends on the time frame of the report. If the time frame includes any dates where the now zero balance accounts had a balance, they still show up in the report.

All of my Networth and Balance reports span some period of time. They are not just "now" reports.

Quicken Deluxe for Windows. Latest subscription version. I've been a user for decades.

- Jim S.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options

For me it appears that if the box is not checked, it looks at the balance at the end of the report period (not today's balance) and excludes accounts that have a zero balance at that time.

Are you seeing something different?

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I see the same. Acts like first click is "get focus" and the next 2 are the action clicks.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

@markus1957

@Rocket J Squirrel

What report(s) are you experimenting with? The Banking Tranaction report is acting weird for me - it seems as if there is some conversion the report goes through the first time you single click on a divider after opening the report, and after that double clicks make the column widths auto adjust. Itemized Categories works the same way.

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@UKR I tried clicking everywhere and I got the results that I described.

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is what I see in the Account Balances report:

In the Account column there are two items not fully displayed as evidenced by the … highlighted in yellow. I click once to get the focus on the report and then click twice next to "Account". This is what happens:

The first item that needed to be further expanded was but the second item only expanded one space and did not expand fully. This "feature" needs for work.

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is what I see with the Account Balance report:

There are two items in the Account column that need to be expanded further as evidenced by the … highlighted in yellow. I then clicked once on the report to give it focus and then double clicked next to "Account" This is the result:

The first item was expanded completely while the second item was only expanded by one space.

I could not get this feature to work on any other reports that I tried. It either did not work at all or acted in a similar manner as this Account Balances report.

• Jim_Harman
    edited April 2023
    Options

Try clicking once on the dividing line to the right of Account then double clicking on the same dividing line.

Or you can just double click on the word "Account"

The first method appears to work for reports where clicking on the header changes the sort order.

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Per my example when I double clicked the dividing line nothing happens. When I double clicked next to "Account" the sort order did not change but the column was slightly expanded, not fully expanded.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

@Snowman for me it works like this. Other variations and other reports may behave differently.

Open the built-in Account Balances report

Double click inside the header. For some other reports such as Itemized Categories, where clicking on the header changes the sort order, this will also change the sort order

If you don't want to mess with the sort order, click once on the dividing line to the right of the column you want to adjust then double click on the dividing line.

For the Account Balnaces report, the change is saved with the built-in report without any prompt, and becomes the new default column width.

For the Itemized Categories report, the new column widths are sometimes auto-saved and sometimes not. I'm not sure what controls this.

• jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Don't mean to hyjack this thread with a different issue, but to respond to your question, attached is a partial screenshot of one of my Net Worth reports. The Display "Show Zero Balance Accounts box" is unchecked.

If an account had a balance at anytime for the report time frame, it still shows up even if it is a zero balance account now.

- Jim S.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This has nothing to do with the original post, completely seperate issue that you have.

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jim_Harman In any of the reports that you have tried does the expand and contraction of the columns work?

• Jim_Harman
    edited April 2023
    Options

@Snowman It depends on what you mean by "work." If you mean "Does it work exactly as described in the release notes", the answer is no.

To see what I have learned about how it works for me, see my earlier post, where I said

@Snowman

for me it works like this. Other variations and other reports may behave differently.

Open the built-in Account Balances report

Double click inside the header. For some other reports such as Itemized Categories, where clicking on the header changes the sort order, this will also change the sort order

If you don't want to mess with the sort order, click once on the dividing line to the right of the column you want to adjust then double click on the dividing line.

For the Account Balnaces report, the change is saved with the built-in report without any prompt, and becomes the new default column width.

For the Itemized Categories report, the new column widths are sometimes auto-saved and sometimes not. I'm not sure what controls this.

• jimshu1
    jimshu1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

- Jim S.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

@Jim_Harman The problem is that it does not work anything like what is described in the release notes.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for joining this thread to share that you are experiencing this issue.

This issue has been reported as it was readily reproducible. We are currently working towards a fix, however, there is no current ETA.

We do apologize for any inconvenience caused in the meantime.

(CTP-6640)

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Jim_Harman
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thank you, @Quicken Jasmine

Hopefully they will fix the code and not just correct the release notes. The need to single click then double click on the column divider for some reports is certainly not intuitive.

BTW I like that the R49.22 release notes have more complete descriptions of what has changed. Even more detail would be better still!

This discussion has been closed.