Stock Cost Basis Column

Options
PeterWin
PeterWin Member
edited May 2023 in Investing (Windows)

As mentioned before, a feature I’d like to see added to the “Holdings” report window is a column that shows stock price cost basis.  In other words, total cost basis divided by the number of shares owned.  This is extremely important when making buy/sell decisions.  Example total cost basis of $100 made up of 50 shares @ $50 and 50 shares @ $75.  Stock price cost basis is $62.50.  This should be easy to do.  It’s just math.  Thanks

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Unless I am missing something, Average cost per share is available in the Portfolio views in Premier.

Do you think QuIcken's calculation is wrong?

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Options

That would be the average cost per share, right?

The Holdings view is not customizable, but you can click on the little plus sign next to a security name and see the cost per share of each tax lot in that account.

Or you can go to an Investing > Portfolio view, click on Customize, and add the Average Cost per Share column. You will probably want to group by Accounts so you can see the average cost in each account.

• PeterWin
    PeterWin Member
    Options

Thanks for responding Jim however this I already know what your suggest. Unfortunately it's not what I need. Let's say you have 3 different stock purchases over time in a lot. Add each purchae total together. Now add each total to arrive at your total cost basis. Divide total cost basis by the total number of shares now owned. This will yield the overall cost basis per share. Example:

10 shares @ $25 each = $250 20 shares @ $18 each = $360 50 shares @ $15 each = $750. Total shares owned 80. Total cost basis $1,360. Cost basis per share now (1,360 / 80) is $17. This average cost basis per share is a column I'd like to see. As an investor, I try not to buy more shares at or above $17. My goal is to lower my share cost basis not increase it. Right now I have to do this math by hand. Not a good use of a computer when a software program should be doing this calc. i.e. MS Excel.

How can I make this suggestion to the code writers at Quicken?

Thanks

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In my Home, Business, Rental version, "Average cost per Share" is already available in the Portfolio view.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options

Unless I am missing something, Average cost per share is available in the Portfolio views in Premier.

Do you think QuIcken's calculation is wrong?

• PeterWin
    PeterWin Member
    Options

Jim I stand corrected and a little humbled.. There is so much more to the portfolio view than I ever knew. It's all there in the Options / custimze view section. The drop down menu is quite robust. I've been a Quicken user since the early 80's and still learning new things about it. Can't thank you enough. Will visit the community more often and help (like you did for me) if I can. Again, thank you for your help.

Peter

This discussion has been closed.