I'd like to request a change to Quicken.

Options

This is in regard to the Bill & Income tab - Bill, Income, & Transfers - Calendar View. When in this view the total funds available for paying bills is displayed. My problem with this is that the total funds available also includes funds that I have listed as separate accounts which are not to be included with other accounts. I'm the Executor of an Estate with roughly $250,000 in funds. This is included in the Calendar view showing all my bills and income. However, those funds are not available for me to use for my expenses. I'd like to have an option to separate those funds from this view. When in Projected Balance View one is able to pick the accounts to see.

Thanks

Best Answer

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Is this in your personal data file? You should have the estate set up in its own separate data file and not commingled with your accounts.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Is this in your personal data file? You should have the estate set up in its own separate data file and not commingled with your accounts.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• BaxOnBway
    BaxOnBway Member
    Options

Nonsense. Why? I don't want to do that. It should be a simple fix for you. The Separate Account Feature works just fine on everywhere else in Quicken. I don't want to have to waste my valuable time having to open yet another program with a password.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You aren't talking to "Quicken" you are talking to another user that made a suggestion.

You should post this as an idea so that people can vote on it. That is how Quicken decides on what priority ideas should get vs the amount of work. Go to the Home page and select New Post → New Idea.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

@BaxOnBway - Having been an Executor for more than 1 estate settlement myself, I strongly agree with @volvogirl's suggestion. It is very important for Executors to keep an arm's length distance of separation between the Estate's finances and the Executor's finances. Failing to do so or even the appearance of failing to do so can cause the Executor a lot of headaches from a personal relationships perspective (if there are other beneficiaries with whom you wish to maintain a good relationship) and from a personal financial risk and legal risk perspective (especially important if the estate is going through Probate). Creating a new Quicken file is a relatively simple matter that does not involve opening another program, it just involves switching between files within the same open program. I suggest you do yourself a favor and create a new file for the Estate to avoid any of the potential risks mentioned above.

If you, however, choose not to do this: Bills & Income Calendar view > click on the Show Full Calendar button on the right below the Calendar > click on Select Calendar Accounts > Select only the account(s) you want shown in the Calendar and deselect the others > OK. Does this get you what you want to see?

Another option you might want to consider (and one which I use much more extensively than any of the Bills & Income views):

1. Account Register (for the Estate Spending account)> upper right Gear icon > Register Columns > check the box for Status > Done. This will add a column on the left side and the column header will have a blue dot.
    2. Account Register > upper right Clock icon (just to the left of the Gear icon) > select the time period for which you want Reminders to be shown in the Account Register. I usually use the 14 days and 30 days but sometimes will go out 90 days or even a year for long term planning.
    3. Now you should see shaded Reminder transactions in the Account Register which will adjust the Account Register balance appropriately. This is a great tool for seeing exactly how much cash is available for spending at any given time within the time window you selected.
    4. Since these are just Reminders and not actual transactions, it will not affect Reconciliation.
    5. On the left side of the Register in the Status column you will see the status of the Reminders (Upcoming, Due, Overdue, Uncleared, etc.) so you know what actions might need to be taken with them and by when or which have already been taken. Once an entered Reminder transaction has been Cleared (i.e., downloaded from the bank), the Status will go away so you know that it is completed.

I actually find this to be a far more useful tool than the Bills & Income Calendar view.

Did any of this help you?

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

This discussion has been closed.