New USAA downloads have completely messed years work of Quicken data

Options
amcmanana
amcmanana Member

Several weeks ago the "new improved download" function resulted in an account list full of duplicates, each with different start and end dates, instead of a running list of transactions as I have had for decades. This has been a particularly busy time for me so I am only able to limp along with knowing my current balance. But I have relied on an accurate resource on finances for years and am distraught that this has been disrupted. At this point it will take me hours (days even) to rebuild a reliable archive and there is no indication that it won't be blown up again. Is this a known problem and what is the fix?

Answers

• gkuper
    gkuper Member
    Options

Same thing happened to me….really frustrating, and like you, all my details are now gone. I cannot update my USAA credit card either. I keep getting an OFX 16503 ERROR. I have tried a fresh set-up of the account, but with no success. Are you also having trouble with this?

• amcmanana
    amcmanana Member
    Options

Yes my attempted downloads include credit cards. I have never seen a named error. Both my quicken app and the bank proceed without error - except it's a new download every time I do it. Without a trusty download "reconciliation" between the bank's account and my quicken account Quicken has no value for me. I've been a customer for ages - but they will lose me if I can't get this under control.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @amcmanana,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about these issues.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into these problems. What you are describing with the duplicate accounts sounds like when you went through the reauthorization process, the accounts were added as new instead of linked to the existing accounts.

Could you clarify what you meant in your second post when you said that there's no error, but its a new download every time you do it? Is it downloading into a new account every time? What prompts are you getting when you try to update your accounts?

Hello @gkuper,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Are you also getting duplicate accounts? For the issue with the account that won't connect, first backup your file, then go to Accounts>Hide and Show Accounts. Every account that thinks its connected will show the financial institution name in the financial institution column. Check for any inactive or closed accounts that think they are still connected. If you find any, you can either click the button to close the account or you can unhide the account and disconnect it (then hide the account again if you want). Once any inactive or closed accounts are disconnected, try updating the credit card again. If it is not connected, you can connect it by going to Accounts>Add Account and following the prompts.

When adding or linking USAA accounts, after you finish authorizing on USAA's site and it redirects you back to Quicken, make sure that Quicken is seeing the correct action (Add, Link, or Ignore) and if linking, that it sees the correct account to link to.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• amcmanana
    amcmanana Member
    Options

"Could you clarify what you meant in your second post when you said that there's no error, but its a new download every time you do it?" - This was in answer to gkuper's question. I see no error msgs.

"Is it downloading into a new account every time?" Yes it keeps adding new accounts, with a new number, e.g. Checking 1, Checking 2,

"What prompts are you getting when you try to update your accounts? Multiple times (since Jan? Feb?) I saw notices that the USAA Quicken update was new and improved. Each time there were different prompts and sometimes it worked and sometimes no update happened. I didn't access my accounts for several weeks (due to surgery then a vacation). But my most recent attempt sure enough there was a new interface in the download operation and it had several questions I needed to answer during the download. I answered as best I could and ended up with several new versions of the accounts - some with months of TXes, some with just a handful.

I must admit I have never worried about Quicken going terribly wrong and I'm afraid I do not have a reliable backup of years of financial data. In fact - I am not sure I can even recreate a complete banking picture for 2022!

I think I need to talk directly to someone who knows the issues either from USAA or from Quicken or both.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

You may benefit from talking with Quicken Support directly as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• amcmanana
    amcmanana Member
    Options

Thank you, Quicken Kristina. I'll try that route.

This discussion has been closed.