Unrealized Gains and Losses included in Expenses

Options

Why are unrealized gains and losses included in both the Income and Expense sections of reports?

Is there any way to NOT have the unrealized gains and losses reported in the Expense section without removing unrealized gains and losses completely from the report?

Apparently this question has been asked before and the ticket was closed with the explanation that it isn't a bug.

I've been using Quicken since the mid 90s, and the reports didn't always work this way. If it's not a bug, then it is a TERRIBLE design decision by Quicken.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Which reports are you referring to? Also, it would be helpful to include the link to the prior discussion on this issue you mentioned in your post.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

"I've been using Quicken since the mid 90s, and the reports didn't always work this way."

How odd. I've been using Quicken from its DOS days and it's ALWAYS worked that way, for me, as far as I can remember. I know this subject has come up in the past. I don't know why it's not considered a bug.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Tom Young I am not able to replicate your report results. What report are you starting with?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Tom Young
    Options

@mshiggins

Income and Expense by Category, all Account/Categories/Unrealized Gain/Loss enabled. As I said it has always been this way, or at least for a long, long time. For all I know it may be a "local to me" problem but it has been discussed many times, so it's not unknown.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I checked in a couple of files, and in the built-in Income & Expense by Category report with all accounts selected and "Include unrealized gains" selected on the Advanced tab, _UnrlzdGain appears only in the Income section.

If you are seeing _UnrlzdGain in the Expense section, I suggest you adjust the report's end date and accounts to see where and when it first appears. Use the Investment Transactions report to see if there is an unusual transaction on that date - a Placeholder, Spinoff, or Acquisition for example - that might be causing the problem. Sometimes backing up your data, then deleting and re-entering a transaction will fix problems like this.

I would be particularly suspicious of ESOP accounts, which have caused other odd problems.

Please let us know what if anything you find!

QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom Young
    Options

This presentation came to my attention when using Q2010, but I guess others had seen this some years before me.

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.software.financial.quicken/c/AHoDzwC1ezo/m/uSYgVlGdEHIJ

Since the net of the two numbers has almost always been correct - within pennies of the calculation based on balance sheet reports - I'm not going to kick the hornets nest and try to run that problem to ground. It was clear that at some point in Quicken's history multiple Return of Capital transactions against the same security could create problems and perhaps that's the origin of what seems to be a "local file" issue, with only some Quicken users experiencing it.

This discussion has been closed.