Reconciliation problems galore

Options
MWeil
MWeil Member

the last year it seems that every month I have to enter a random reconciliation amount to get the new month to reconcile. I have been using quicken for close to 20 years and someone at tech help said it was bc my data file was too large. It is not that big. But I do have multiple accounts (checking only) from multiple feeds. But it is always a problem with my primary account.

I am ready to bolt for QB which I use with my business. But the bank data feed connectivity is not as good I understand. Before I do that I am hoping to be able to hire someone who can fix my problem as the call center people at Quicken have been no help at all.

thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @MWeil,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Is this happening only in your primary account, or has it been happening in other accounts also? You mentioned you're having to enter random amounts to reconcile; have you noticed what is changing (for instance, is it seeing a wrong starting balance, missing transactions, seeing some transactions twice, or something else)? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@MWeil When did you last validate your Quicken data file. You should be doing it at least once a week before you backup the file. To do this go to File > Validate And Repair Your Quicken File, tick the Validate File check box and click OK. This will let you know if you data file has become corrupted. Whomever told you that your data file is "to large" did not know what they were talking about. Was that Quicken support that said this or some other tech "help".

I have 5 checking account a number of investment accounts and 7 credit card accounts and my data file is 175Mb in size with no issues.

If your data file is corrupted you can try to do a repair but given the fact that this has been happening for awhile you may have to go back and start restoring backups and validating the backup until you find a backup that is not corrupted.

Three years ago my main account was corrupted and I had to go back 6 months until I found a clean backup which is part of the reason I now validate at least once a week. How to fix this at this point will depend upon the type of account you are dealing with.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@MWeil are the reconciliation problems with one account? Are you reconciling to an online balance for the problem account(s)? Are you syncing your data to the Quicken cloud or using web/mobile versions of Quicken?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.