Bug or Feature: Reauthorize EWC+ Accounts Upon Backup Restore

Options
jtemplin
jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭

I restored from an automatic Quicken backup because I messed up something while accepting transactions (automatic backups are so handy for this). All my EWC+ accounts got a red circle with a slash through it in the accounts bar. I had to reauthorize all those accounts (3 AMEX and 4 BOA).

Is that a bug or a feature? If the latter, that makes restoring from a backup a pain to go thorough those reauthorizations again (and it's slow).

Comments

• jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

Sorry, I forgot: Quicken Windows Premier R49.22, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.2846

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @jtemplin,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. What you are describing is neither a bug nor a feature. Whenever you restore from a backup, there is a slight risk that the accounts will need to be reconnected with the financial institution; that risk gets higher if you had deleted accounts and/or disconnected accounts prior to restoring. Is this happening every time you restore from a backup, or was this the first time this has happened?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for replying…

This is the first time this has happened. I had not deleted or disconnected any accounts prior. I was simply using the restore to go back in time to fix an error in accepting transactions.

But I don't remember if I did any other restore after AMEX and BOA went to EWC+, so I don't know if that's connected to the issue. Restores always worked without this issue as far as I can remember.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

If you restored a backup from before you switched those accounts to EWC+, then it would be normal for it to prompt you to reauthorize the accounts.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The backup restore was from only 1 day before, i.e., long after I had switched both AMEX and BOA to EWC+

Backup restores I do are always from just the day before. I hardly ever need anything earlier than that.

Sorry for the misunderstanding; what I was trying to convey was that I can't remember when was the last time I needed to restore a backup prior to this event.

In other words, this is very likely the first time I tried a backup restore from a 1-day old backup after both AMEX and BOA transitioned. I would tend to blame the EWC+ transition since that's the thing that changed. Restoring backups prior to this event have always been easy and trouble-free.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Since there is always a slight chance of needing to reconnect financial institutions after restoring a backup and so far this has been a one time occurrence, there really isn't anything to troubleshoot.

That said, EWC+ accounts may have issues if the same account is connected in multiple Quicken Data Files (.qdf files). Making sure to disconnect EWC+ accounts in data files no longer being used can help reduce the potential for issues in the future (note: backup files are fine since nothing is connected in them until you restore a file from the backup).

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.