Category popups not working in register

Options
bransdell
bransdell Member ✭✭
This wasn't an issue until a week or so ago. How can I resolve this? Is it a setting or a code update?

Best Answer

• bransdell
    bransdell Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It turns out to have been a windows issue. I have a MS surface book with an external dock that has two monitors connected. I turned off the two external monitors and used only the laptop display and the issue was gone. I shut down everything. The dock, laptop and both external monitors and then started everything fresh and the issue rlemains gone. I had done a windows restart prior, but my guess is that it was not a complete shutdown.

Thanks for the assistance and hopefully this will be helpful for someone else if they encounter this issue.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

More details, please.
    Do you use Quicken Mac or Quicken for Windows?
    What version, edition level (Starter, Deluxe, etc.) and release (R xx.xx) of Quicken are you using?
    US, Canadian or other country version?
    Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to get this information.

• bransdell
    bransdell Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Premier
    Version R49.29
    Build 27.1.49.29
    Windows 10 Enterprise
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In your Tools / Category List (*) does a ghost account named something like ACCT_xxxx appear as a category? (e.g., ACCT_123a)
    If so, try deleting it.

(*) When viewing the Category List, please make sure the Category List is set to "Show Full List", "[x] Show hidden categories" is selected, the list is sorted by category name and "All Categories" is selected in the sidebar on the left.

• bransdell
    bransdell Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. There was a category named ACCT_somenumber which I deleted. The category was unused. This made no difference. I logged out and back in as well but no luck.
    I the category list window, I did not have Show hidden categories checked so I checked that. The All categories in the left sidebar is just for viewing the category list in the category list winow, but I have that selected as well as Show "Full List" in the dropdown at the top of that window. I can see the complete list of categories as expected.

The only behavior that I am missing is in the register entry when i type in the category name. It usually drops down to show the next 4-5 entries in the category list based on what has currently been entered. That drop down no longer shows.

I have seen this before and it has resolved itself so my guess is that it's code related regression and will be fixed in a future update. Is there anything else that you recommend that i provide so that the quicken development team knows that this is an issue?

Thanks for all of the suggestion and if you have any other ideas I am willing to try all. At this point it's just annoying but I can work around it.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:
    • Even if you are on the latest software level already, download and install the latest Mondo Patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product to ensure your Quicken software is up to date and correctly installed.
    • Reboot Windows.
    • Validate and Supervalidate your Quicken data file.
    • If nothing helps, try to restore your Quicken data file from an Automatic or Manual backup taken just prior to the problems first occurring. https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    First save a backup file prior to performing these steps
    Validate: 
    • Click File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots". If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    Super Validate:
    • Click File
    • Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Supervalidate File
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• bransdell
    bransdell Member ✭✭
    Options
    Took a bit to get back to this but I've done the following:
    Validate, Super Validate. Uninstall quicken, Delete the existing installation folder in C:\Program Files (x86) and reinstall Quicken to the most current patch version which is what I was running before. Same result.

At this point, I consider this to be an issue with the software. Any suggestions on how to get this reviewed by the product development folks?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There must be something else that's corrupted in your Category List.
    You mentioned that you found and removed a ghost account, ACCT_xxxx.
    Is there more than one?
    Is there a duplicate category in the list, one that's spelled exactly like another category or [account name]?

After reviewing your list (again), if it looks clean, if you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone during posted hours of operation and request help. Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.
    Quicken Support:
    - To contact Quicken Support, please use this link only:
    https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support and select Chat or Phone support.
    - Support is only available during posted hours of operation
    - The phone number can be found at the support website.
    - To start Chat or see the support phone number, your browser must allow popup windows from https://www.quicken.com
    - If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) when you log in with your Quicken ID. Place the call using the phone whose number is recorded in your account profile.
    - Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    - Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

• bransdell
    bransdell Member ✭✭
    Options
    Just for additional verification, I created a new quicken file. I only added a cash account and ootb categories and I still have the same issue. Thanks for your assistance. I will open a call today and reply when I have a solution.
  • bransdell
    bransdell Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It turns out to have been a windows issue. I have a MS surface book with an external dock that has two monitors connected. I turned off the two external monitors and used only the laptop display and the issue was gone. I shut down everything. The dock, laptop and both external monitors and then started everything fresh and the issue rlemains gone. I had done a windows restart prior, but my guess is that it was not a complete shutdown.

Thanks for the assistance and hopefully this will be helpful for someone else if they encounter this issue.
  • bransdell
    bransdell Member ✭✭
    Options
    One final post regarding this issue. It happened again but now I understand that this is a display issue. My external monitor is a Dell 35" curved widescreen and I noticed that when I move quicken to that app and maximize it, the application doesn't respect the boundary of the monitor. I have the external monitor both physically and logically positioned above the laptop screen so that I can move the mouse up and down between the two monitors. When I move quicken from the laptop screen to the external monitor and maximize it, the bottom portion of the app shows on the top of the laptop screen and the scroll bar on the right side of the app is off screen.

I found this article that has the same issue but in reverse. For them, the app appears to not fully maximize. The suggestion was to make the secondary monitor the main monitor which does resolve my issue but as they stated, I don't want the secondary monitor to be my main monitor.

The other interesting comment in the article is "It is known issue that has existed for over a decade", and I do remember seeing this a couple of years ago but at some point it seemed to resolve itself. I don't experience this with any other application.

The article describing the application not properly sizing to the monitor resolution.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7896039/incorrect-display-scaling
This discussion has been closed.