Archiving transactions

Options
Jerry2
Jerry2 Member ✭✭
Quicken Deluxe subscription in fast Windows 10 laptop with 16Gb ram and SSD.

I have a Quicken file that contains many accounts and voluminous transactions over 20 years. Accepting individual downloaded transactions has become very slow. I have validated the file and there was essentially no file problems. So I am considering archiving my accounts if that will speed quicken up. But I do not know what happens after archiving.

- Where do the archived transactions go? Do they remain accessible?
- When I search in Quicken for transactions, will the search include the archived transactions?
- What are the downsides of archiving?
- Can archiving be undone?

Thank you.

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Archiving investing accounts (NOT a "Year end archive") may speed things up for those accounts.

Archiving moves transactions for securities you no longer hold to a different account with "-archive" appended to its name. They remain accessible.

Yes, you will still be able to find the archived transactions.

It creates an additional account for each archived account. Depending on the activity in the account, it may or may not speed things up significantly. It helps most if there are a lot of transactions for securities you no longer hold in the account.

I suppose you could carefully move the archived transactions back to the original account to undo the archiving. I would not recommend trying that. You should definitely back up your data before archiving so you can revert if you do not like the result.

Please let us know what you find.

QWin Premier subscription
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

A separate file is created for the archived transactions. Yes, but you have to change which file is open in Quicken.

- When I search in Quicken for transactions, will the search include the archived transactions?

No. Since they are in a different Quicken data file, they are not searched.

All of your information is not in the same file. You will periodically need to open that file to keep it up-to-date with the current version of Quicken that you have updated to. Most users regret doing the split and return here asking about merging the files back.

Not without a lot of work and effort on your part and it might not be successful when you have gone through all of the steps. See this thread:

Finally, see this FAQ about how to do a successful Year-End-Copy:

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Archiving investing accounts (NOT a "Year end archive") may speed things up for those accounts.

Archiving moves transactions for securities you no longer hold to a different account with "-archive" appended to its name. They remain accessible.

Yes, you will still be able to find the archived transactions.

It creates an additional account for each archived account. Depending on the activity in the account, it may or may not speed things up significantly. It helps most if there are a lot of transactions for securities you no longer hold in the account.

I suppose you could carefully move the archived transactions back to the original account to undo the archiving. I would not recommend trying that. You should definitely back up your data before archiving so you can revert if you do not like the result.

Please let us know what you find.

QWin Premier subscription
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

A separate file is created for the archived transactions. Yes, but you have to change which file is open in Quicken.

No. Since they are in a different Quicken data file, they are not searched.

All of your information is not in the same file. You will periodically need to open that file to keep it up-to-date with the current version of Quicken that you have updated to. Most users regret doing the split and return here asking about merging the files back.

Not without a lot of work and effort on your part and it might not be successful when you have gone through all of the steps. See this thread:

Finally, see this FAQ about how to do a successful Year-End-Copy:

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jerry2
    Jerry2 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you both.
    I decided not to archive.
This discussion has been closed.