Quicken problems with Vanguard downloads

Options
jjkuhns
jjkuhns Unconfirmed, Member

When downloading "Update Transactions" Vanguard's old platform worked very well - with no problems. Since converting my Vanguard account to the new platform downloaded figures do not coincide with my Vanguard account. Perhaps Quicken and Vanguard need to talk. I'm using Windows 11 and am a current subscriber.

J Kuhns

Comments

• Bob Mano
    Bob Mano Member
    Options

My Vanguard Wellesley mutual fund show losses in Dollars and Percentage when I should be showing gains as the total has been increasing over the years. Why aren't reinvested dividends included? It should be showing positive dollar and percent gains.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jjkuhns I have transitioned several Vanguard accounts from their old mutual fund only platform the the Vanguard Brokerage platform without incident. Is this what you did?

What did you do in Quicken to make this transfer? Did you create a new account, disconnect and reconnect the oold account, or what?

When you say the downloaded figures are different, what is it that is different? Share prices? Holding quantities? Wrong transactions downloaded? Missing transactions Duplicated transactions? Please explain so we can help straighten this out.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    Options

@Bob Mano did you also transition from Vanguard's mutual fund platform the their brokerage platform, or is it something else?

If you are referring to numbers in the Investing > Portfolio views, please give the exact names of the columns affected.

Did you buy or sell shares of the Wellesley fund during the analysis period, or do you only have reinvested dividends?

• Snorkle
    Snorkle Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I transitioned mutual fund accounts at Vanguard to brokerage accounts last year. If I am recalling correctly this is what occurred. The first Quicken update after the account transition recognized the new brokerage account which I added to my register. For each holding there was a remove transaction in the old account and an add transaction in the new account. I accepted these into Quicken and noticed almost immediately that my gains, etc were messed up looking at the Quicken investing/portfolio tab. At first I simply fixed this by updating the cost in the add transactions to the investment amount in the corresponding remove transaction. I think this is adequate if using average cost basis. To retain the full history I believe I used the mutual fund conversion function which brings over each lot from the old account into the new account with an add transaction. Of course then I had to delete the original add transaction. End of the day I am matched up with Vanguard.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options

@Snorkle Actually it would be Shares transferred between accounts rather than Mutual Fund Conversion to move your holdings from the old account to the new.

• K.
    K. Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I did this differently, because the shares transferred approach would not show my history and cost basis in the new account. I guess there's always more than one way to get there:

Add a new account in Quicken, entering Vanguard as the institution. Use your regular username and password.

Quicken will show both of your accounts – your original (make sure it’s linked to your original Quicken account) and a new one called “Brokerage”. Rename the new account to Vanguard Brokerage (date of transition)

In the original account, highlight one transaction and then click “Select All” from the Edit menu.

Drag all your transactions from the original account into the new brokerage account.

Delete the newly downloaded “Remove shares” and “Add shares” transactions between the original and new accounts.

The new Brokerage account balances should match your online balances, and your transaction history and cost basis should be correct.

There may still be a balance in your original account because of Quicken’s somewhat mysterious creation of “placeholder transactions”. You can just create a payment/deposit transaction to zero this out. Date it far in the past so it won’t create any confusion for your current day to day records.
  • KS-mom
    KS-mom Member ✭✭
    Options

Cannot find "Select All" in Edit menu.

How do I combine the two brokerage accounts that show up in Quicken - but I only have 1 brokerage account at Vanguard.

I want to retain the history of the original brokerage account but cannot figure out how to "combine" these two accounts (getting the "new" brokerage" downloads to download to the "original" account.

What will happen if I "delete" the "new" brokerage then go back and set up the online access for the old brokerage (link the accounts)?

• KS-mom
    KS-mom Member ✭✭
    Options

Found the "select all" - settings gear icon in top left of screen for that brokerage account.

I did this. Selected all - and moved to the new brokerage account (there were only June 2023 duplicated transactions) - HOWEVER, now my balance shows over twice the correct balance. I've "reset" the online access, even deleted and re-connected to online. Nothing is changing.

I've checked the Vanguard website - my balance is 1/2 of what Quicken shows for the account. There are no placeholders.

Ideas on how to fix. (and yes, I also went ahead and "updated" my Quicken program to the latest version).

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@KS-mom

It seems impossible to have any balances in an Account where there are no transactions, so that does suggest that you have Placeholders in the Account.

Do Edit > Preferences.. > Investments > and click "Show hidden transactions

I'd expect that you'd now see those Placeholders. Make sure the Account is no longer enabled for downloading from Vanguard, then delete those placeholders.

This discussion has been closed.