I created a new sub category under INS, but it doesn't show up in the report.

Options
jdmcgehee
jdmcgehee Member ✭✭

For a year I've had a category called INS, and a sub category called INSKim. When I show the budget report, INS, INSKim, and OtherINS all show up. I created a second sub category under INS called INSJim, but it doesn't show up in the report. I opened the customize - category - field and made sure it was checked, but it still doesn't show up. I added a third sub category name INSVia with the same result. How do I get them all to display?

Thanks, -jim

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @jdmcgehee,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Is this happening in the Current Budget report, the Historical Budget report, or both? When you added the sub category, did you also make sure that category is selected in the budget you are running the report on?

To check, you would want to go to the Planning tab, make sure the budget you are running the report for is selected (if you have more than one budget in your file), then click the Manage Budget Categories button.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jdmcgehee
    jdmcgehee Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello Kristina,

Thanks for getting back so fast. First let me admit I don't know the difference between the Current Budget and Historical Budget reports. I created the original one name '2022' and am carrying it forward into 2023. I guess by that sense it is historical?

I went to the Planning tab, chose '2022', andManage Budget Categories as you suggested. I then scrolled down and found that the new categories were not selected. I selected them, then went to my saved report and the values are now showing up. Problem solved. Thanks!

In complicated software tools there are many ways to arrive at the same solution. This was a case where I assumed the way of selecting categories from the gear icon of the report would be the same as starting at the of the Planning tab and working my way down through the categories, but it wasn't. This is the second time I've made that mistake. The first was when I tried to print/export the budget from FIle-Print Budgets menu versus using the Export/Print icons found on the budget screen. The point I'm trying to make is that my intuition on how these reports are generated isn't working very well :) Could you give me a little pointer on how I should look at these reports?

Thank you! -jim

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you want to keep using your Budget Table named "2022" for 2023 and future years, may I suggest that you rename it to something without the year, e.g., "Budget" or "My Budget".
    To do so, in the Planning tab's Budgets view click Budget Actions / View options / Edit Budget Name.

When going back to your saved budget reports, be sure to verify the selected budget name and, if necessary, re-save the budget report, replacing the old copy.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear you were able to get those categories to show up in the budget report now. I'd recommend reviewing UKR's post (right above this one) if you haven't done so already. Did you have any specific questions about reading budget reports?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jdmcgehee
    jdmcgehee Member ✭✭
    Options
    I changed the title as you suggested. Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.