Missing a lot of transactions suddenly

Options
MichaelCortese
MichaelCortese Member ✭✭✭
I haven't looked at all my accounts, but my most used credit card is missing 4 months of transactions in the register. Another credit card is missing 1 year of transactions. I haven't done anything unusual. I've never had this happen in using Quicken for 25+ years. This is very alarming. The online access for one these accounts is gone. It wants me to set it up.

One is a Citi cc and the other is a Discover cc. The Discover shows a last download date of yesterday yet is missing year of transactions.

Edit to add: This is an application issue and not a data issue. I restored a month old backup and the transactions were still missing. There is no way I've been missing all these transactions for a month. I use Quicken almost daily.
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @MichaelCortese,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start? Your profile says you use the Windows version of Quicken. Which version of Windows do you use? Are you using a Windows computer, or using a virtual machine to run Windows on a Mac?

Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

I would also recommend going to Tools>Account List, if there is a checkbox to show hidden accounts in the lower left, select it, then check to see if you have any extra accounts. It is possible that if, at some point, you accidentally created a new account when disconnecting and reconnecting accounts, that the history is still there, just in a different account in Quicken.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• MichaelCortese
    Options
    I use Windows 11. The file is on my C drive. The account shows. It is missing months of data. It also says downloads aren't activated and there is no last download date. Even though I downloaded within the last few days for this account. I have 100 backups going back 15 months. None that I've looked at have the data that I'm missing. I noticed it today.
  • MichaelCortese
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I chatted with support. They told me to setup connectivity again. I tried and it failed with error cc-502. Support referred me to a bulletin from January of ongoing connectivity issues! Even if I can connect, I will still have lost all my categories.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I can see when you reached out to support, they focused on the connectivity issue with Citi. There is a Community Alert for that specific connection issue. For credit cards issued through Citi, most people are able to bypass the CC-502 issue by connecting to Citi Cards instead of Citibank and using Direct Connect. This FAQ provides more information.

One thing that might help fill in the missing information is downloading a .QFX file directly from the financial institution, if your financial institution offers that functionality and provides enough history.

It is strange that all your backups are missing that information. Do you have any backups stored on a separate device (or cloud storage) from the other backups? If so, have you tried restoring from one of those backups to see if the same issue persists there?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe not strange that the same transactions are missing from backups. Restoring a back up forces a sync with the Quicken cloud. If the cloud is missing the transactions, I’m assuming the forced sync would remove the same transactions from each restored file.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Quicken Kristina
    edited May 2023
    Options

@mshiggins has a good point. If you have sync turned on, there is a chance that may be causing the issue when you restore backup files. To check if sync is turned on, you can go to Edit>Preferences>Mobile & Web. If sync is on, it will look like the sample image below.

If it is turned on, to see if the cloud sync is the cause of the issue, you would need to delete your cloud account and then restore a backup from before your data went missing, then check to see if the issue persists or if your missing data is back.

To delete your cloud account, create a new data file (click here to view instructions, and review the section titled: "Creating a new file"). Once the new file opens, follow the steps below to remove your main data file's cloud account.

1. Go to Edit
    2. Preferences
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
    4. Click Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID (#) (this is not a button, it is written in blue underneath the "Edit dataset name" button)
    5. Select the Cloud Account Name used for your main data file and click Delete
    6. Type Yes and click Delete

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• ideo
    ideo Member ✭✭
    Options
    This Citibank / Quicken issue has been ongoing for many months and I've been complaining to Costco, petitioning them to change credit card providers so we can end this frustrating situation. Costco customers, please join me in urging Costco to switch CC providers so we can actually download our transactions to Quicken!
  • MichaelCortese
    edited May 2023
    Options
    To be clear, I don't think the data is missing from the backups. I think it is a problem with Quicken. My backups get larger in size each day and I don't think that would happen if 100 transactions were suddenly gone. The backups are on a NAS. I have cloud backups as well.

I turned off sync. However, when you open a file I don't believe any syncing occurs. I also think when you restore a file it asks you if you want to cloud sync it. The transactions are still missing. I still get the CC-502 error. The directions are for adding an account. I don't see I how can setup direct connect for an existing account.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

To connect the existing account by Direct Connect:

1. Backup your file.
    2. Deactivate the account(s)
    3. Go to Tools>Add Account
    4. Search for Citi Cards
    5. Click the Advanced Options link
    6. Select Direct Connect
    7. Follow the prompts
    8. On the Add/Link screen, make sure it is showing Link to existing and seeing the correct nickname in Quicken to link to.

For the data issue, I would recommend reaching out to Quicken Support directly for further assistance (and don't let them get sidetracked by tangential issues) as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• MichaelCortese
    Options
    Didn't work. "Sorry. We encountered an error [it's not you4r fault]" Another time it said "you need login information from Cti cards." Is this my regular Citi website login or something else?
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

You need to authorize the connection from Citibank's website.

On that "Not your fault" error screen, it gives a prompt to go to https://www.citi.com/datamanagement. Alternatively, you can follow the directions in the FAQ I posted earlier:

Log into your Citibank account on their website, navigate to Profile and choose More Settings. Then select Manage Desktop Apps, Add Access, Continue. Now you will have a 10 minute countdown to connect in your Quicken.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• MichaelCortese
    Options
    I authorized it. It gave me 10 minutes. It still failed.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Then I would recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

• MichaelCortese
    Options
    Aren't they just going to tell me it is a known ongoing issue?
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

If you tell them you are trying to connect via Direct Connect, they should be able to help walk you through the process, and doing the troubleshooting in real time should make it easier to identify what is going wrong.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• MichaelCortese
    Options
    I'm going to call tech support. The memos when I manually download and import the missing transactions are defaulting to the same as the old missing transactions. If these transactions were really deleted so would be the unique memos. As I said before, the transactions aren't deleted. They are just not displaying due to a bug.
  • AlKramer
    AlKramer Member
    Options

I am having the same issue - missing tons of transactions!!! I have a BAnk of America Card and Wells Fargo Card. I went to reconcile them for this month and it wouldn't balance. As I looked closer, the charges and payments match up but there were over $2000 of missing transactions from BofA and over $3500 transactions from Wells Fargo. I have no idea which ones or from what years. I have data in my back up going back to 2008. I am so frustrated that Cloud Sync seems to be deleting transactions. I am ready to lose my mind. I have NO IDEA what transactions are missing. This is DEFINITELY a QUICKEN issue!!!!

• MichaelCortese
    Options

Yep. I've had 3 issues in a month. Citibank credit cards downloads haven't worked for weeks. Missing transactions. Reminder issues. I've used Quicken 25+ years and there is no way i deleted 60 transactions myself.

• EdJD
    EdJD Member ✭✭
    Options

Me too, all of a sudden I get missing transactions, missing reminders, etc

• MichaelCortese
    Options

I haven't been able to connect to Citibank for a month. I couldn't connect to Schwab for a month not that long ago. This is ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.