How to copy multiple transactions between accounts in different data files?

Options
DaveLab
DaveLab Member

I followed the instructions here [sorry, the forum interface won't let me post links yet], but they don't work.

I can copy a single transaction, but when selecting several per the instructions, the "Paste transaction(s)" entry in the gear drop-down menu in the blank transaction on the receiving account (in the receiving data file) is grayed out.

Thoughts?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

When doing a file export, if you go to File>File Export>QIF File, you will be able to choose where to save the file, whether to do all accounts or just one, the date range, and what data you want to include in the export.

When importing, it doesn't automatically create an account, so you would want to do that in advance. Go to Tools>Add Account. Choose the Offline Account tab, select the appropriate account type, and then give it a name. The account name does not have to match the name of the account you are importing, as long as you remember which account you set up to import into.

When doing the file import, go to File>File Import>QIF File. You will need to click Browse and choose the file you want to import. Then select the correct account from the Quicken account to import into dropdown, and select which data to include (by default, it will have Transactions and Special handling for transfers selected).

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you for your response,

QXF stands for Quicken Transfer Format. It is used to transfer data from one Quicken version to another. You can review this article for more information.

QIF stands for Quicken Interchange Format. It gives you more options when exporting/importing because it is primarily used to transfer transactions from one account register to another (in a different data file, since copy/paste generally works within the same data file).

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @DaveLab,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Generally, the simplest way to copy transactions from one data file to another is to export from one data file and import into the other file. This FAQ can help if the accounts you are wanting to copy information to/from are Investments, assets, or liabilities rather than standard banking accounts.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• DaveLab
    DaveLab Member
    Options

Thanks. It doesn't appear that that will allow me to move only specific transactions, though. Is that correct? Is there a way to do that?

Any idea why it didn't work the way it was supposed to (for multiple transactions) according to https://www.quicken.com/support/move-transactions-between-quicken-accounts#:~:text=Choose%20Open%20from%20the%20File,choose%20Paste%20Transaction(s) ?

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

Nevermind wrong info.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• DaveLab
    DaveLab Member
    Options

Hi VG. What's the wrong info?

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I deleted my post. My post was wrong.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

The information in the knowledge base article is outdated. We submitted a request to get it corrected.

Using export/import lets you choose a date range, but not specific transactions. You can create a new account to import into, then copy/paste the transactions you want from that new account into the correct account(s). Once done, you'd delete the new account you created.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• DaveLab
    DaveLab Member
    Options

Great, thanks. I didn't see a way to specify a date range when I tried export/import QXF the other day. Did I miss it? Nor did I see a way to specify which account to import into. Or is it just a matter of naming the new account the same as the account your exporting from?

Thanks.

• Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓
    Options

When doing a file export, if you go to File>File Export>QIF File, you will be able to choose where to save the file, whether to do all accounts or just one, the date range, and what data you want to include in the export.

When importing, it doesn't automatically create an account, so you would want to do that in advance. Go to Tools>Add Account. Choose the Offline Account tab, select the appropriate account type, and then give it a name. The account name does not have to match the name of the account you are importing, as long as you remember which account you set up to import into.

When doing the file import, go to File>File Import>QIF File. You will need to click Browse and choose the file you want to import. Then select the correct account from the Quicken account to import into dropdown, and select which data to include (by default, it will have Transactions and Special handling for transfers selected).

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• DaveLab
    DaveLab Member
    Options

Thank you.

So This is all using the QIF file type. Interesting. My understanding is that that's an older type that's been superseded by QXF. Do I understand correctly, then, that QXF does not have this same functionality?

• Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you for your response,

QXF stands for Quicken Transfer Format. It is used to transfer data from one Quicken version to another. You can review this article for more information.

QIF stands for Quicken Interchange Format. It gives you more options when exporting/importing because it is primarily used to transfer transactions from one account register to another (in a different data file, since copy/paste generally works within the same data file).

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• DaveLab
    DaveLab Member
    Options

Good to know QIF is still a happening file type! Thanks so much for the information. I did not know that.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

I'm happy to help. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.