Memorized transactions

hhoke56
hhoke56 Member

I used to have free Quicken and everything worked fine. Now, not.

I have read answers to questions re Memorized Transactions, but I cannot figure it out

Payments to insurance providers, as an example, change every year.

When I enter payee, last year<s amount fills.

I do not know what category to choose so selected Water Cooler

Best Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Go and find a Humana payment with the $97 charge, select it, then press the "Ctrl" and "m" key simultaneously, and that transaction will be memorized. Then click Tools > Memorized payee list and scroll down in the list until you come to Humana. Make sure that one transactions with the $97 charge is the only saved instance of Humana. If there are any other instances of Humana, click on them and then click on the Delete button.

That will work.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

After you save the transaction with the new amount then do Ctrl+M to memorize it for the future.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken does not have Memorized Transactions for banking and credit card accounts, it has Memorized Payees.

You can manage the Memorized Payees by going to Tools > Memorized Payee List. If you have a Payee like an insurance company where the Category stays the same but the amount varies, you can select the Payee from the list then click on Edit. Set the amount to 0.00 and check the Lock box.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom Young

The Memorized payee function memorizes transactions as you enter them in the Register. You can turn this feature on (or off) in Preferences. But even it you turn this feature off you can still memorize specific transactions by pressing the {Ctrl}-m key combination while your cursor is in a specific transaction.

If the payment to the insurance company is memorized - say last year you entered a payment to "Big Insurance Co." for $1,000 and used a Category of Home Insurance - then when you started to enter this year's payment by starting to type the company's name, Quicken would find last year's information and offer to complete the entry using the same exact information as was used a year ago. This speeds up the entry process, if you accept Quicken's suggestion, since it means you don't have to type every single piece of information again. Naturally Quicken can't possibly "know" what this year's premium amount will be, so if you accept the memorized payee you do need to change the dollar amount.

The Memorized payee function has, to the best of my knowledge and belief, always worked this way.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Since insurance payments, as you stated, occur every year … as an alternative to using Memorized Transactions consider using Scheduled Reminders instead.
    A Scheduled Reminder, set to occur once every year on the Due Date and set to remind you, for example, 30 days before Due Date, will perform the same function as a Memorized Transaction. In addition, it will allow you to plan ahead, to remind you that a payment is coming up, and allows you to make sure there's enough money in the checking account to cover the bill.
    When the Due Date approaches and you want to make this payment, just select to Enter this reminder's instance into the register. As you do, change the amount as indicated on your insurance bill. With just a few keystrokes you have a correct register transaction in your data file.

Please consider setting up and using Scheduled Reminders for all your recurring transactions, your paycheck as well as all the monthly, quarterly, yearly payments.

For more information, please begin reading here: https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/About+reminders

• hhoke56
    hhoke56 Member

Thanks, everyone. I am old and not very technically inclined so I will just have to keep entering the new recurring monthly amount when I enter the payment. i.e. Humana changed from $98 last year to $97 this year. When I type in Humana, $98 pops up even though I entered $97 the last time that I entered.

• Tom Young
    Answer ✓

Go and find a Humana payment with the $97 charge, select it, then press the "Ctrl" and "m" key simultaneously, and that transaction will be memorized. Then click Tools > Memorized payee list and scroll down in the list until you come to Humana. Make sure that one transactions with the $97 charge is the only saved instance of Humana. If there are any other instances of Humana, click on them and then click on the Delete button.

That will work.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

After you save the transaction with the new amount then do Ctrl+M to memorize it for the future.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• hhoke56
    hhoke56 Member

Thanks, Tom and volvogirl.

I will try and print your answers and put by my laptop.

• fkindred
    fkindred Member

When I click on a Memorized Payee in the register I would like for the amount to be the last amount paid to the particular payee. Is this possible? The old Quicken used to do that but I haven't been able to make this one cooperate. Thanks

• Tom Young

Have you gone over to the Memorized Payee list and deleted any "old" memorized payees related to Humana? Make sure that "Lock" is not clicked. Then go to a current payment to Humana with the current correct amount. Do the Ctrl+M and Quicken should tell you it's memorizing the payee. Then go back to the Memorized Payee list and see that it's there, correctly.

This discussion has been closed.