Random N/A text replacement

Options
gpc
gpc Member ✭✭

I have now noticed that Quicken for Windows has decided to randomly insert "N/A" in the payee and memo fields of several registers, therebye overwriting what I put in. At first I thought this was my error as I saw a renaming rule that would do that. I would never have created such a renaming rule but nevertheless I deleted all the renaming rules that showed up with "N/A" as the replacement. I then reentered the correct information and closed the program. Upon reopening the program, the same transactions have had the information replaced with "N/A" again. Thinking there may have been some data corruption, I used an old backup file from over a month ago and the same thing happens in that file. It has now happened with 2 accounts and many different payees. It won't stop inserting "N/A" into the payee and memo fields for random transactions. I have spent hours trying to figure this out and at this point I believe there must be a software bug that is preventing me from entering the data I want into the various registers. This is quite frustrating and I am getting to the point that I may need to look elsewhere if this cannot get resolved. I am currently at the mercy of the Quicken software code as to when it will randomly change my data.

Tagged:

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

After the restore from backup, were the transactions initially correct, but after running a Sync to cloud they were changed to "N/A"?

In that case I would suspect Sync as the culprit, re-updating good transactions with bad data from the Sync file.
    Do not run a Sync after Restore from backup. Instead, Reset Sync so that the cloud file is replaced with a fresh copy of your local data file.

How to reset Sync to Cloud
    • Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:
    • Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.
    • Sync your desktop file to the cloud
    • Now log back into your mobile app

BTW, check your backup files, both Automatic and Manual Backup files. There might be one that is more recent than the month-old backup you mentioned.
    And do change your Edit / Preferences / Backup settings to create a backup every [1] time you close Quicken.
    Close Quicken when you're done working on it for the day.

• gpc
    gpc Member ✭✭
    Options

Sync does not appear to be the problem. I have turned off syncing with all my accounts. I type the payee and memo info in and it shows correctly. After closing the program and then reopening it, the transaction amount is correct, but the payee and the memo field have been replaced by "N/A". I look in the memorized payee field and the "N/A" line item shows it to be memorized with the correct amount. So the program is entering "N/A" as a memorized payee even though I am using another name for the payee. Same is true for the memo text; it is replaced by "N/A". I am not sure what the significance of N/A is to Quicken, but it must mean something because I did not enter that text into the transaction or any of the other 40-50 transactions that the program continues to change to N/A. Quite perplexing; at this point it has to be a bug because I keep deleting the memorized "N/A" payee each time. N/A does not mean anything to me except that it is short for not applicable.

• gpc
    gpc Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

I do not know when the program will randomly insert "N/A" into a transaction, it appears to not follow any pattern. [Edited-Readability]

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @gpc,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Do you recall when this issue first started happening? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

If the issue started immediately after an update, another thing you may want to try is reinstalling the update. You can click here for instructions.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• gpc
    gpc Member ✭✭
    Options
    The file is stored on one drive. I have reinstalled the program multiple times. This problem is quite vexing as it deliberately wipes out my information and replaces it with "N/A". I have no idea what the significance of "N/A" is to the Quicken program but it sure likes to use that phrase alot to replace my information. I do not have anything in memorized payees or renaming rules that utilize this. What the system does is puts in a renaming rule to "N/A" when I look at it after I reboot. I have NO IDEA why Quicken automatically populates a renaming rule that I have not created.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your response,

If you haven't done so already, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file. Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.