Paycheck - edits don't stick/stay

Options
mjonis
mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭

I can pretty much dupe this at will (I've deleted and created new paycheck via the Wizard several times).

I go to the Calendar, and find the upcoming paycheck and edit it (you double-click on the calendar date and it'll pull up a list of everything scheduled for that date). Select the desired item and edit it. This should edit "this and all future instances". But it does not.

In this case, the paycheck wizard (this may be where the original source of the bug is at), gets deposited in to a Checking account. Some of the pre-tax items like 401(k) contributions should be transferred to the 401(k) account, but instead, Quicken saves them as being transferred to the same checking account, thus the amounts never get into the 401(k). Even when I edit it, change it, and save it, I can go right back in and voila- it's back to the Checking account.

Now, if I Enter the paycheck (click Enter) and edit the account (have to change from checking to the 401(k) account for the line item in question), and then save it, it'll process that check correctly that one time. [Edited-Readability] But kinda defeats the purpose of doing this via a paycheck wizard.

Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @mjonis,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Could you provide more information please? Is it posting pre-tax items that should go into a 401k account into your Checking instead, and you are editing from the Calendar to try to correct it, or is this behavior something that starts after you edit your income reminder from the Calendar? If it is the former, does editing through the calendar correct for that one instance, but not the future instances, or do you have to manually correct it from the posted transaction? If it is the latter, is there any specific edit that triggers this behavior, or does it seem to happen no matter what is edited?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

Yes, it is posting pre-tax items into the checking account, when they should go into the 401k account.

Yes, if I edit from the Calendar, it will change it, I'll click Done, it looks like it's saving stuff, but when you go to either Enter or Edit the reminder, it has reverted back to putting the pre-tax money into the checking account again.

It also does this with post-tax stuff (for example, Employee Stock Purchase).

There's just something funky with the Paycheck wizard for some reason that seems to not setup/save correctly.

If it's entered as an Income reminder (vs. Paycheck Wizard) it seems to be OK. But the only downside to that, is that you don't get to see the splits when you Edit, you have to Edit, then click the Split, then enter the Split window and it's all lumped together, no easy segregation of Pre-Tax/Post-Tax, etc.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Is this issue happening only after you edit the paycheck income reminder from the Calendar, or is it incorrect from the moment you finish creating it in the Paycheck Wizard? When did you first notice this behavior?

Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The quicken data file is local ( C drive). There is no synching going on (no dropbox, etc.)

I didn't notice it immediately after creating with the PayCheck Wizard, but that's when the problem initially occurred. I know it was during the creation process because I get paid weekly and a month later when I got my 401k statement the dollar amounts didn't match (ie: statement vs. what's in the 401k account in Quicken), so that's when I discovered Quicken was not putting the dollars into the correct account.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

To continue troubleshooting this issue, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Already been there and done that. No difference.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

The next step to troubleshoot the issue would be restoring a backup from before the issue started, if possible, and test to see if the issue recurs in that newly restored file.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Restoring from backup would basically not have the Paycheck entry at all. The issue appeared after creating it. I'll just open a problem with tech support then since there's no reason whatsoever that editing "this and future instances" does not retain its settings.

• Jeremy Kruse
    Jeremy Kruse Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options
    This is a common issue that popped up for many of us in the past few weeks. Hopefully a fix will be out soon.
This discussion has been closed.