Investing Account Overview Holdings Limitation of 15 Years, Excludes $'s older than 15 yrs.!

Options
UserSinceBefore1999
UserSinceBefore1999 Member
edited June 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I have used Quicken for over 24 years and just retired. So I am reconciling details within my investment accounts to verify the shares and cost basis to see what my unrecognized gain is to estimate future tax liability.

As I was reconciling, I noticed in the Account Overview, Holdings section, it was not showing my investment detail for 2002 thru 2008. However, if I go to the Enter Transaction detail tab, the 2002 thru 2008 detail is included. So ~$100k does not show up on summary reporting. WTHeck! HOW MANY PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW THIS?

I called the Call Center (in Guatemala City) who told me re-enter data (Not!). I escalated to Supervisor who couldn't fix. I asked him to escalate to US programming, Level 1. After scheduled call starting 50 minutes late, we tried various things for ~3 hours, and he was giving up, so I asked for escalation to Level 2 where after another hour, learned the Investing Account Overview of Holdings is limited to 15 years.

I asked how could this be. I was told that not many people would want more than 15 years of data. I called BS. If you worked 40 years saving as a long term investor and you hope to survive and pull money from accounts for 25+ years, there should not be a limitation. Quicken does not advise of this within Investment section. This should be an easy programming fix!

I have used this program all these years leading up to retirement, now it is meaningless and useless! Quicken please put me in touch with a programmer for a simple fix. And train your Call Centers and Escalation Centers, 4 tiers in total that did not know this and wasted 4 hours of me trying to reconcile and 6 hours on the phone with Quicken. This is absolute BS!

Please call to fix.

Thanks!

Tony

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

You were right to call BS.

By default the Holdings view only shows securities you hold on the As of date (normally today). If there are securities you held a long time ago and sold, for example because your 401(k) provider changed, they will not normally appear. Click on the gear at the top right of the Account Overview of and select "Show closed lots". That should show everything you ever held in the account.

Does that explain what you are seeing? If not please explain what is missing.

Also there may be better ways to see your investing history. If you explain what you are looking for, we may be able to suggest a report or Portfolio view you could use.

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The BS is that there is a 15 year window. You were told wrong. I have investment holdings going back close to 30 years. My Holdings view shows lots acquired as long ago as 1997 = 26+ years ago.

Beyond the “closed lots” question Jim identified, what “investment detail for 2002 to 2008” is missing?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There's also an option under the Holdings gear menu, Preferences. This allows the setting of the earliest date to show calculations. Normally, this is set to "Earliest available date". I suppose it could have accidentally been changed. Not at all likely, but worth a look. You could even try to explicitly set it to 25 years ago and see whether anything changes.

I know it's a long shot, but this is Quicken we're talking about. Anything is possible.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In my Holdings, I can see a holding from 1983 that was sold years ago

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• UserSinceBefore1999
    Options

Jim, Thanks for the input. My earliest purchase in this account is 7/12/02. Under Gear, Preferences, we have tried both the "earliest date available" option and 1/1/20, both before the 7/12/02 first purchase, to no avail. In addition, under the Gear, I have "show closed lots" checked. I want to be able to go to the front page and see an accurate net worth. I also want to go to Investment, Account Summary, Detail, and be able to see all purchase "lots" so I can manage taxable gains. However, in Investment, Account Overview, Holdings, if I put in an As of Date of today, 5/15/23, I only see detail for 12/1/08 thru 5/15/23 (aka, the 15 year BS limit Quicken is advising me of), and the 29 purchases Lots for 7/12/02 thru 11/30/07, do not appear. Makes no sense. If I change the As Of date to 11/30/08, I see the first 6 years of data, but obviously not the transactions post that date.

Q_Lurker, Thanks for the input. See the last 2 sentences above in response to Jim that address your question.

Rocket, Thanks for the input. We tried both date options, to no avail.

NotACPA, Thanks for the input. I have no idea how 2 of responders can see data older than 15 years and I cannot, and Quicken says no one can. The only thing I have done new that seemed to make things slower is activate Mobile Quicken in the last month, but I disabled that a few days ago.

I am told Quicken monitors this site, so hopefully they step up and remedy situation.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

just following along…. what screens are we looking at - Account Overview —> Holdings ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    edited May 2023
    Options

Yes, "Account Overview" is what is displayed if you click on Holdings while viewing an investing account.

@UserSinceBefore1999 Is this issue affecting more than one account?

I suggest you experiment with the As of setting in an affected account to see when the older holdings disappear. Is sounds like this is 11/30/08. Then look in the account's Transaction List (register) to see if there are one or more transactions that might explain the disappearance.

But first, go to Edit > Preferences > Investing and make sure "Show hidden transactions" is checked. This will reveal any Placeholders that might be lurking in your data.

You will be looking for Placeholders, Sold, or Removed transactions that made the old holdings go away. For example, you might have Removed all the holdings of one security and Added back either the same or a slightly different security in an attempt to correct your share balance and/or cost basis. Placeholders could do the same thing.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@UserSinceBefore1999 have you looked in the account register to confirm the older transactions are still present in the account?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    Options

@UserSinceBefore1999 just to be clear, in your original post you said

As I was reconciling, I noticed in the Account Overview, Holdings section, it was not showing my investment detail for 2002 thru 2008. However, if I go to the Enter Transaction detail tab, the 2002 thru 2008 detail is included. 

Is the "Enter Transaction detail tab" the same as the account's Transaction List (Register)? If not, where are you looking to see the earlier transactions?

• UserSinceBefore1999
    Options

Jim, I just examined 4 accounts with ~20 years of detail data in the transaction register. On the Holdings tab, all have the dates set to the "earliest available date" and include "showing closed lots". 2 accounts show all activity in Holdings, which is great; however 2 do not how all data that is in Transaction register on the Holdings tab (the original 1 only includes data back 15 years, and the 2nd only shows "Lots" back to 13 years). With regards your last question, "Is the "Enter Transaction detail tab" the same as the account's Transaction List (Register)?", yes. This is bizarre and I am getting very suspect of Quicken accuracy.

MSHiggins, yes, all the data is included in the transaction register; however, the older data does not transfer to Holdings summary, and therefore undervalues Net Worth summary.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Rather than the Holdings view, I would be using a Portfolio view (Ctrl-u). More flexibility on setups and customizing. Can look at multiple accounts at one time. “Should” be the same per account but who knows.

IMO, you need to be focused in on those two accounts and the security transactions in them. For example, if you enter a new buy in that old period, does it appear? If you relate a transaction in that period to out of that period, does it appear?

Also, have you validated this file since this problem was identified?

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

In the Investing tab, Portfolio view, do you see the same problem with missing lots?

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wondering if the issue is due to number of transactions in the problem accounts rather than number of years. How many transactions in each of those accounts?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    Options

@UserSinceBefore1999 did you try my recommendations from yesterday morning for the problem accounts?

Make sure Hidden transactions are shown so you can see any Placeholders, then go to the date in the account's Transaction List when the lots disappear in the Holdings view and look for transaction(s) that might account for the problem.

What if anything did you find?

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Another thing you could try if you have not already would be to back up your data just in case, then do a File > Validate and Repair with the Rebuild investing lots option selected.

What is the result of the Validate and Repair?

• UserSinceBefore1999
    Options

Q_Lurker, Thanks for the ideas. I tried the Portfolio view. I never used that before and like that view, but unfortunately the two accounts are still awry. When on the calls with Quicken, we ran both a Validation and Super Validation. I will try your suggestion on entering dummy data into the older date period to see if it shows later today after I get back from some other errands.

Markus, yes same erroneous data showing in both.

MShiggins, I found somewhere in Community earlier this week that there is no transactional limitation.

Jim, Thanks for all the advice. I replied to your guidance yesterday, above. As far as I know, I do not have Hidden Transactions. I do not see the option, where internet search says to go, so I assume this verifies I do not have any. I do have a few placeholders and they are showing up in Holdings. With Quicken, we also did the backup and validation attempt. I don't recall all the validation scripts, but there were none in the account I am focusing on.

This evening, I will attempt inputting the dummy data for 2000-2008 and see if it appears in Holdings. If not, I will do another backup and validation. If still no go, I will re input the 1st 10 items in the transaction list that are not showing in Holdings, and see if that works.

If that doesn't work, I will just use Quicken for the checking account, credit card, and budget/actual tracking until my subscription expires, and will then go to another provider, and Quicken will loose a ~25+ year client that was somewhat "addicted" to Quicken, but ready to trash it. I can do the Investments and tax planning in Excel.

Can anyone validate that Quicken high level support monitors this thread for Suggestions, as I was advised that is the case by the Quicken support team I talked to earlier this week, and we haven't heard from them.

Thanks again everyone.

Tony; CPA, MBA, with 35+ years professional experience in M&A and Corporate Strategic & Financial Planning

• Jim_Harman
    Options

I have not seen your results from my suggestions yesterday. Please find the "Show hidden transactions" option and verify that it is checked, and look in your transactions around the date where your old holdings disappear when you adjust the As of date in the Holdings view. Here is what I said yesterday:

I suggest you experiment with the As of setting in an affected account to see when the older holdings disappear. Is sounds like this is 11/30/08. Then look in the account's Transaction List (register) to see if there are one or more transactions that might explain the disappearance.

But first, go to Edit > Preferences > Investing and make sure "Show hidden transactions" is checked. This will reveal any Placeholders that might be lurking in your data.

You will be looking for Placeholders, Sold, or Removed transactions that made the old holdings go away. For example, you might have Removed all the holdings of one security and Added back either the same or a slightly different security in an attempt to correct your share balance and/or cost basis. Placeholders could do the same thing.

In the 2 problem accounts, are the share balances wrong, or is the issue just with your cost basis? Have you been adjusting the share balances to match your brokerage statements?

Also you have received a lot of questionable information from Support. The main Quicken people who monitor this forum are the Moderators, whose user names begin with "Quicken". They sometimes review issues with developers, but they focus mainly on widespread issues. As far as I can tell you are the only user affected by this issue, which would indicate that it has something to do with the data in your file and not with Quicken itself.

This discussion has been closed.