Cash account linked to brokerage transaction appearing in register rather than download window

Options
ASM95
ASM95 Member ✭✭

I just started using a brokerage account for checking because they give me interest when the huge bank gives me zero interest. I have some transactions like pension and a part time job that has deductions for withholding and other things. The paycheck varies week to week. In checking I could save a memorized transaction. I could then just recall the memorized transaction and match it to one in the download tab. I haven't been able to do this with my brokerage account.

My goal is to select a memorized transaction with the categories pre-filled in. For the pension check the amounts would be saved. For the paycheck I have to enter the Amounts because it varies week to week. This was easy to do with a regular checking account.

I tried "show cash in a checking account" yes and no option. With the Yes option I get the separate check register, but everything comes in directly into the register with the blue dot to review. I have to enter each line in the split putting in the category and the amount. When I tried the No option I couldn't setup a memorized investment transaction and use it.

Tagged:

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Keep using the "show cash in a checking account" option.
    With the separate checking account register you can set up recurring reminders for pension and paychecks with all the required splits for gross income and deductions.
    If a recurring reminder is not feasible because it doesn't occur on a regular schedule, memorize a correctly categorized already existing register transaction.
    When you know that an income transaction is about to arrive, but BEFORE you download transactions from the brokerage, record this transaction into the checking register. Make any adjustments to the Split amounts as needed.

When you download transactions from the brokerage, Quicken will be able to match the newly downloaded data to the already existing register transaction.

Please verify that your brokerage account is set up to NOT automatically accept downloaded transactions.
    Where are the "Auto-accept downloaded transaction" settings?

There are two places where this is controlled in Quicken for Windows:
    - Globally, for all accounts, in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions
    - For each account individually, the global setting can be overridden from the Edit Account Details screen, Online Services Tab. Look for blue text "Automatic Entry is: ON / OFF". Click the text to change the setting.

• ASM95
    ASM95 Member ✭✭
    Options

This is the online services tab for my investing account with the linked "show cash in a checking account".

As you can see the "Automatic Entry is Off". When I click on the blue text I get this dialog and have it set to No. The linked checking account does not have the Online Services tab.

In the linked checking account I see the blue dots:

The new transactions are not going into the Download Transactions window. This does work correctly for my checking account, just not for this account that is linked to an investing account.

Is this a bug I should report?

Thank you

• ASM95
    ASM95 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am using the Windows desktop subscription version.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @ASM95,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did the issue start happening?  Was there anything that happened just before the issue started, such as a power surge, power outage, update, unexpected program or computer shutdown, etc?  Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• ASM95
    ASM95 Member ✭✭
    Options

This issue started when I created this specific investment account. It is only occurring on this specific investment account. The Quicken file is local to my PC in a subdirectory of my documents folder. c:\users\….\Documents\Quicken

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• ASM95
    ASM95 Member ✭✭
    Options

I did the validate, exited Quicken, waited and started Quicken. I then downloaded transactions. This did not fix the problem. New transactions are showing up as a blue dot. I am also not getting a blue dot next to the account list or a flag saying that there are new new transactions to be approved.

I just ran super validate, but will have to wait until there is a new transaction to download to see if that helps, but it didn't find anything to fix, so maybe not.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

BTW, what's the setting in
    - Globally, for all accounts, in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions
    both for banking and investment registers?

• ASM95
    ASM95 Member ✭✭
    Options

Here is a snapshot of all of the settings.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the image.
    Just trying to provide complete documentation of the issue. Now, if we could get someone at Quicken to take a closer look at the issue.

• ASM95
    ASM95 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

Due to the nature of this issue, I recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

• ASM95
    ASM95 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the walk through. I was hoping that there was a quick fix without waiting for Quicken to agree with the bug and then wait for a fix. Here is a work around:

The workaround is to enter the transactions into Quicken before downloading it into the account. Then it looks like Quicken will do a match.

• ASM95
    ASM95 Member ✭✭
    Options

I just got an update from Quicken. Installed it. Did the one step update and this bug is "fixed". I hope it stays fixed.

• ASM95
    ASM95 Member ✭✭
    Options

I take back what I said. I had account open. While the update was running I saw all of the downloaded transactions in the "downloaded transactions area". Once it finished downloading all of my accounts, it automatically put them into the register with the blue dots. So not fixed.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

Due to the nature of this issue, I recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.