Incorrect Bill Amount, off by $0.01

Options

I've noticed recently that Bills I've set up in my "Bills & Income" tab (which I started using after Quicken stopped syncing with BofA Bill Pay) are off by $0.01. The most recent incident was with a Chase account but I believe that I've seen it with other billers as well. Has anyone else seen this?

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @scsweet,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did you first notice this issue? Is it affecting only Online Bills, or is it also affecting manual bills? Was there anything that happened just before the issue started, such as a power surge, power outage, update, unexpected program or computer shutdown, etc?  Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• scsweet
    scsweet Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Kristina,

Thank you for the reply. To answer your questions, this has been going on for several months. I noticed it shortly after I started using the “Bills & Income” functionality (I only used Quicken Bill Pay briefly but stopped after a payment to Kohl’s was not delivered and I had to have interest and late charges reversed). It only affects bills received from online payees received through the “Bills & Income” tab. I’m sure that there have been power outages that led to unexpected shutdowns in the period I've observed this issue but I haven’t noticed a definite relationship between the two. My quicken file is kept on my C: drive. My data file is synced with OneDrive but I only use Quicken on a single computer.

Having said all that, I think that the likelihood of data file corruption as the cause of this issue is low for two reasons.
    First, the error is evident on the initial presentation of the bill in the “Bills & Income” tab (first attachment). For reference, the actual bill amount is shown on my e-mail statement notification (second attachment).

More importantly, I found a record of the bill import in the QCS.log file (will provide on request) which clearly shows the incorrect amount:

################### Saturday, May 27, 2023, 13:01:09 #####################
    INFO:New biller date (6/20/2023), amount(-109.46) or additional amount (-35.00) for 'Amazon Visa - Chase' (via Aggregation).

My interpretation of this information is that the incorrect amount error is present before it is stored in my data file.

Now that I know that the transaction records are in the log file, I could probably go back to find other examples if needed (that process would be a bit cumbersome though). Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Update: I went back through the accounts for which I'm receiving online bills through the "Bills & Income" tab. The issue started in 10/22 and only appears to affect my Chase credit card accounts (I have American Express and Barclays Bank accounts that were not affected). The amount is always $0.01 less than the actual bill. Based on the data in the QCS.log, the error occurred in my Chase Amazon Visa bills for October and November 2022 and March, April and May 2023. They also occurred in my Chase Ritz-Carlton Rewards account for December 2022, January, March and May 2023.

Thank you,

Stuart Sweet
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

If you don't mind, would you please go to Help>Report a Problem and send log files? From what you're describing, it sounds like the incorrect information is being sent to us straight from the financial institution, rather than Quicken changing it after it arrives, but I would like to review the log files to confirm that.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• scsweet
    scsweet Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I agree with your assessment. I have sent the log files via Help>Report a Problem as requested. Please let me know if you need additional information.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

The log files confirm that the information is coming to us incorrect, directly from the financial institution. Have you spoken with Chase about this issue (you would probably need a supervisor or a higher tier of tech support since they're the ones most likely to be knowledgable about 3rd party programs like Quicken)?

When I review the log files, it also appears your actual credit card account balance is reporting correctly, only the bill portion is showing $0.01 less. Does that match what you are seeing in your Quicken?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• scsweet
    scsweet Member ✭✭
    Options
    Dear Kristina,

Dear Kristina,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, it when I update my accounts using One-Step update the downloaded data, including the account balance, is accurate. The bill amount error is only apparent in Chase bills presented through the Quicken Bill Manager / "Bills & Income" tab. One thing that isn't clear to me is whether Quicken Bill Manager is using Express Web Connect+ (which is what my accounts report using) or another connection method. Based on both the QCS log and my experience using Quicken it appears to me that updating my online account balance and retrieving recent transactions is a separate process from retrieving my current bill.

I have not yet reached out to Chase directly, in part because I just figured out that the issue is specific to Chase accounts this afternoon and in part (as you alluded to) because I'm not sure I can get the attention of anyone at Chase who can actually help me.

I'm assuming from your question that this issue is unique to me and is not affecting other Quicken customers. If so, before I reach out to Chase it would be helpful for me to know which communication method Quicken Bill manager is using to obtain my bill information.

If you can provide that information, I will reach out to Chase and provide feedback if I get anywhere.

Thank you.

Stuart Sweet
  • Quicken Kristina
    edited May 2023
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

The issue is not unique to you. It has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

Thank you!

(CTP-6890)

Quicken Kristina

• scsweet
    scsweet Member ✭✭
    Options
    Kristina,

Thank you for the reply. As this is a known issue that affects others and that Quicken is currently investigating I will not reach out to Chase directly unless you think that would be helpful.

Stuart Sweet
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

With respect to making credit card or other payments correctly and on time …

• scsweet
    scsweet Member ✭✭
    Options
    UKR, yes, thank you for sharing this advice. I started using the Quicken Bill Manager last fall when Quicken switched from Direct Connect to EWC+ for Bank of America transactions and as a result BofA Bill Pay scheduled payments stopped coming into Quicken automatically. I tried using Quick Pay for one account but gave up on that after the first missed payment (due to the biller's 2FA requirement that Quick Pay couldn't handle) and have shifted the majority of my accounts (including those that won't send bills to Bank of America) to direct debit or credit card payments from the biller's website (including my Chase accounts referenced above). I use scheduled reminders in Quicken for recurring payments but have been trying to use Bill Manager to enter amounts for variable bills (I use the Bill Manager "enter" functionality to get the transaction into my Quicken account register without initiating a bill payment). As you allude to, Bill Manager seems to be a bit of a work in progress, I periodically have to reenter credentials or delete/restore online biller connections. But it is (for the most part) better than trying to enter the variable bills manually. Unfortunately, my guess is that this will be an ongoing problem because banks (like BoA) appear to be less willing to accept the security risks that come with DirectConnect functionality or want to monetize this access. So I'm concerned that the Quicken Bill Manager functionality will eventually disappear.
This discussion has been closed.