Changes to budget do not save

Options
iusdcm1
iusdcm1 Member ✭✭
I am a long time quicken user and I use the budgeting feature. Recently when I make changes to the budget it saves for a few days and then suddenly all of my changes are gone and it reverts back to a previous budget.
Is anyone having this issue?
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @iusdcm1,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did you first notice this issue? Do you have Cloud Sync turned on? To check, go to Edit>Preferences>Mobile & Web. If Sync is on, it will look similar to the sample image below.

Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Gary Chav
    Gary Chav Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

I am and have been experiencing the exact same issue for the last several months. I change my budget amounts back to what I want them to be based on expected changes this year, and they do not stay for long...it is almost as if the end of year automatic budget creator keeps kicking in and giving me a new budget based on history, so it does not recognize and keep the changes I have made...wipes everything out and puts back in old numbers. It is a huge time-consuming process to fix and then completely lose it again! [Edited-Readability]

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Gary Chav,

Thank you for joining the discussion. Do you use Quicken Mobile and/or Web? Do you have cloud sync turned on? You can check this by going to Edit>Preferences>Mobile & Web.

If sync is on, try turning it off and test to see if the issue persists.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Gary Chav
    Gary Chav Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi Kristina,

Thank you for your response, and I do truly appreciate it, but I have been a "power user" for over 20 years and I have tried everything to fix this, including this suggestion and all of the ones you listed previously, and several other ones you haven't listed, like super validation and resetting the cloud, removing the app on my phone for a week, creating new files, and on and on. Having been a user for so long, I have come to expect continued problems and bugs like this, and why I don't recommend Quicken to others...and I am convinced this issue is not on my end and that it has something to do with the automatic budget creation that occurs every year (it should be an option and not automatic...(it should ask me if I want Quicken to create something for me so I can say no thank you...duplicating a budget option as a choice should be enough). It recreates my Budget 2023 at random times when some sort of change occurs and overwrites any other budgets I created as a means to save the one I wanted, and I even renamed them thinking that might keep it from changing multiple budgets. I have even tried to create a complete backup file every time prior to exiting Quicken, and then when the budget changes happen, I go to the previous backup file to restore...my former budget I want comes back (Yay!), but once I sync again with the Web, it reverts back to the changed budget, so there is no work around for me to somehow permanently keep the budget I created...this has happened at least 20-30 times. It started in 2023, so I am hoping somehow at the end of this year, it will somehow magically stop, but I am not optimistic for sure. As an added issue this year, I recently retired, so my income alone is dramatically different than last year, but when this change happens, it reverts all my income to what I budgeted last year in 2022, so I have to start all over again with income, taxes, and benefits...very frustrating!

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

You mentioned that your budget is correct after restoring a backup, but as soon as it syncs with the cloud, it changes back to the incorrect budget. Do these unwanted changes happen only after a cloud sync? If you turn sync off, do the unwanted changes stop? If not, could you please give more detail on what exactly is happening that is triggering the unwanted changes?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Gary Chav
    Gary Chav Member ✭✭
    Options
    Correct, it is completely impacted by syncing to the cloud, so once I correct/edit the budget back to what I want it to be and turn off Sync, it will stay exactly as I want it to be, but then I can never use the mobile app, so my choice is using only the desktop, after I fix it, and not be able to have the mobile feature, which is not a good option as I highly value the mobile feature. I have tried "resetting the cloud", and then changing to an entirely different file name and stopped using the mobile app and syncing for a week, including removing the app from my phone, rebooting the phone, and then downloading it again a week later...complete new data based on an updated and corrected desktop version, and is starting completely fresh with my correct budget...but sync once and it comes back to the old budget, which makes no sense as the desktop version is correct and should be the one the cloud picks up and keeps after syncing...why would it override and change to something completely different, last year's budget numbers/data that should not even exist now? The cloud keeps wanting to create this budget it thinks I want based off of 2022's budget numbers. I realize this is complicated and quite confusing, but that is because it is...you almost have to see it happen to fully understand it, and I have spent so very much time rebuilding complex and precise budget numbers several times to only have them disappear again. Very frustrating to say the least!
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

This is a known issue that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

Unfortunately, the work around in the mean time is turning off the sync with mobile and web.

Thank you!

(CTP-6291)

Quicken Kristina

• Gary Chav
    Gary Chav Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Kristina,

Thank you for the research and work you did on this. It is very much appreciated! Although not resolved, and I suspected it would not be, I appreciate you confirming that it was not a problem on my end but some sort of bug issue on Quicken's end. As stated, in the 20+ years I have been using Quicken, this is a fairly common theme on continued bug issues that I find happen frequently and are quite frustrating, and also why I would never recommend this product to anyone...the challenge I have is to unwind the 20 years and start completely over with another financial software is even less desirable, but I likely will at some point. Thank you again for your efforts!
  • iusdcm1
    iusdcm1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I agree with everything Gary says above. I have sync on because I use the mobile option of quicken all the time. Please advise when a fix is ready because as Gary said, this is quite a time consuming option to redo the budget. I sync everyday, and I noticed sometimes the budget can stay fine for days and then suddenly in a week it is messed up again. Thank you.
  • Scott_in_Florida
    Options

I had everything working and then somehow Cloud Sync was re-enabled when I had to deactivate and re-activate my checking as it stopped syncing for an unknown reason. I didn't realize that cloud sync was re-enabled. I've rebuilt my budget this year for this issue numerous times. Having come from MSMONEY 1997 to this so I would save time has been a joke. I'd almost rather go back to manually entering in all of my transactions. Maybe I should do the full backup after every use like the other user did. I never think about that feature. I just dislike that my manually entered data is overwritten. Manually entries should never be overwritten in my opinion.

• Jason19224
    Jason19224 Member ✭✭
    Options

I as well experienced this issue tonight. Needs to be corrected ASAP. Lots of time wasted recreating budgets.

This discussion has been closed.