Citi line items will not download from 10/29/22 thru 11/22/22

Options
vkss03
vkss03 Member ✭✭
Have been connected and downloading from Citi for many years. Currently the line items for the above dates will not download. Have called Citi Tech Supp twice today. They were checked permissions and reset them; I closed, waited and reopened Quicken three times. No success. What can I do? When will I be able to CALL Quicken directly?

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How are you trying to download the transactions?

1. Going to the Citi website and download a Web Connect, .QFX, file
    2. Using One Step Update in Quicken

The answer to the above question will decide who you need to get help from.

To answer your question, Quicken support is closed today, Memorial Day in USA, but will reopen tomorrow at 5AM PST.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken is closed today for Memorial Day holiday. Their Support will open, again, on 5/30 at 5:00 a.m. PST.

You said your accounts have been connected for years.

• Have you previously downloaded for these dates and now for some reason you are trying to download them, again? If so, then Quicken is screening out those transactions when you try to download them, again. This is part of Quicken's design to ensure that we don't get a lot of duplicate transactions entered into the accounts.
    • Another possible cause of this is that Financial Institutions (FIs), after the initial setup, limit the number of days that can be downloaded with One Step Update or Update Now. The most common practice is to limit downloads to the last 30-90 days, depending on who the FI is. Last Oct-Nov is well outside of that window.

There is nothing we can do to change either of these 2 possible causes.

But you do have another option you can try that should work: Log into your online Citi account and manually download transactions for that date range in QFX format (also sometimes called Quicken format or Web Connect format). Save the download to your hard drive and then double click on it to open it. If prompted, select Quicken to open the file which will then import it. When prompted, be sure to Link the imported data to the account you already have set up in Quicken.

Did this resolve the issue for you?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• vkss03
    vkss03 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you both for your answers. First: I'm using Quicken 21; it is my first Cloud connected experience. I will use your suggestion, Boatmaniac.

To Splasher: I use One Step Update. To Boatmaniac: You may have hit the problem. Yes, I downloaded these transactions back in the fall during the original reconciliation. Which then poses another issue -- one I am finishing fixing now. That is that somehow, already reconciled items are being deleted and NOT by me! I found another account's balance had changed, while the program was closed over several weeks. The balance changed by about 10K. The problem was: previously entered auto payments, for one particular account, were deleted from entries going back to 2021. Yes, all had been reconciled. The nice thing was that it was only a single account and not random deletions.

Will let you know if this works. I'm assuming that I can just cut and paste the items from the downloaded file to my current Quicken file.
    Won't there be over writing if I link the downloaded file to my current Quicken file? If not what does linking do?

So,
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

@vkss03 -

I'm using Quicken 21; it is my first Cloud connected experience.

Are you using Mobile or Web? If not, you might want to make sure Sync is turned off (Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Sync = OFF). Doing this will help to reduce the risk of some data issues occurring. Your system will still sync some to your Cloud Account but it will not Sync your accounts data for use with Mobile and Web.

Also, since Quicken went with the subscription model the year of the software is really just a marketing thing and does not mean anything. Now it is all just Quicken "Subscription".

Yes, I downloaded these transactions back in the fall during the original reconciliation. Which then poses another issue -- one I am
    finishing fixing now. That is that somehow, already reconciled items are being deleted and NOT by me! I found another account's balance had changed, while the program was closed over several weeks. The balance changed by about 10K. The problem was: previously entered auto payments, for one particular account, were deleted from entries going back to 2021. Yes, all had been reconciled. The nice thing was that it was only a single account and not random deletions.

It's hard to know at this point what might have caused these issues. Here are some things that are known issues that can sometimes occur when reconnecting accounts that have for some reason become deactivated or, in the case of EWC+ connected accounts, needed to be reauthorized. These things can also happen when changing the connection method (i.e., from EWC to EWC+, from EWC to DC, etc.).

• The Opening Balance transaction dollar amount is sometimes changed. It is a really good idea to enter and save the correct dollar amount into the Memo field of the transaction. Then when the account balance is incorrect it is a simple matter to see if the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount has been changed and to correct it.
    • A 2nd Opening Balance transaction is sometimes (not often) entered (different date, different dollar amount). If this happens, this transaction will need to be manually deleted.
    • Duplicate transactions get entered. Duplicates need to be manually deleted. This is one of the more common (still not common but more common) issues that can happen. If duplicates do occur they will usually show up within the immediately prior 90-days window.

The thing about auto payment transactions losing split transactions data or "disappearing" is a different issue being reported by some. I don't know much about it since I have not been closely following it nor have I been able to replicate it.

Often times, the fastest and best fix to these issues is to not attempt to fix them at all and, instead, simply restore a recent backup from just before when the issue(s) were first observed. This is why I recommend having Backup preferences set to automatically backup after every session and to save backups going back at least 2-4 weeks.

Will let you know if this works. I'm assuming that I can just cut and paste the items from the downloaded file to my current Quicken file.

Won't there be over writing if I link the downloaded file to my current Quicken file? If not what does linking do?

You've probably figured this out by now, but you cannot copy/paste from the manually downloaded QFX file into your Quicken file. That file needs to be imported into Quicken. When you download the file, depending on how your Windows settings are for downloaded files, you can either immediately select Quicken to open the file or you can save the file to your hard drive. If you save the file, then double click on it and select Quicken to open it.

When you manually download, make sure you select the date range you need. Do not include dates that exceed that date range needed unless it cannot be avoided. (Some will allow you to pick the exact date range while others will allow you to select transactions from a statement date range.)

When you import you can try to link the imported data to your existing account. If you do this and if there are overlapping dates between what is already in your account register and what is in the downloaded QFX file, the transactions in the account register will not be overwritten. Instead, it is likely that the process will add duplicate transactions to the account register. Duplicate transactions will need to be manually deleted.

Another possible issue with this is that there might be a 2nd Opening Balance transaction entered. This 2nd one will need to be manually deleted.

Alternately, when importing the QFX file, you can opt to Add the data as a new account. Then you can select the transactions in that new account that you want to be included in your original account and Move them to the original account by right clicking on the transaction and then clicking on Move Transaction(s). You can also select a range of transactions to move by clicking on the 1st transaction, scrolling down to the last transaction and while holding down the Shift key click on that last one which will shade all the transactions in that date range. Then right click anywhere on the shaded transactions and then click on Move Transaction(s). When you have moved all the transactions that you want moved and you determine no longer need this newly added account for more QFX file downloads you can delete it.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.