How to change transaction to a transfer?

Options

Downloaded activity in main banking account shows many transactions as "Credit Card Payment". But in fact they are transfers between the bank account and credit card account. Sometimes it shows correctly, but most often it doesn't. How can I change these incorrect transactions to transfers without introducing errors?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"Downloaded activity in main banking account shows many transactions as "Credit Card Payment"."

I'm not sure what field is being used here, but I'll assume that's showing up in the Category field as a current expense. If that's the case and they really are Transfers (payments) against some credit card Account, then simply entering the name of the credit card Account, surrounded by square brackets [Name of Credit Card Account] will change that into a Transfer to the credit card Account.

When I make a payment against a credit card I enter that information into the checking Account, properly coded. That eliminates all confusion.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

Do you have a separate Quicken account setup for your credit card ?

Usually - you download the Checking Account transactions and download the Credit Card Account transactions -
    All charges reside in the CC account -
    When you pay your monthly CC - you have a single entry in the Checking Account for a [transfer] to the CC account.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

How can I change these incorrect transactions to transfers without introducing errors?

Changing an existing transaction into a transfer by changing the category to the receiving source account's name in square brackets, such as [Visa], will generate a transaction in the receiving account with the sending account's name in the category, such as [checking].

Now, if you already have a transaction in the "Visa" account with a non-transfer type category, you will end up with two transactions for that payment action, the transfer and the pre-existing payment transaction. You will need to delete the pre-existing payment transaction leaving only the new transfer transaction and at that point your ending balance for the "Visa" account should be back to where it was originally.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you have any idea as to WHY this is happening -
    Are we talking a DEBIT Card or an actual Credit Card ?
    Is there something special setup to "pull" payments from the bank account into the Credit Card account ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.