Does Quicken push out an update evey single day of the year?

Options
Schooner
Schooner Member ✭✭
And why is it impossible to skip the update? After 20 years of records, am I going to lose everything with an update crash?

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

Quicken Mac automatically backs up your data file before performing an update. It also moves the prior version of the application to your Trash, so you can retrieve it in the unlikely event you need to revert.

And of course, they don’t release updates nearly as often as you suggest. Since last June, there have been 5 feature releases and 15 bug fix updates— so 20 updates over the past year, or an average of one every 18 days. And you can skip installing an update when it prompts that a newer version is available.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

After each major release, there are usually a few follow-on bug fix releases over the next several weeks - the previous 7.0 release went up to 7.0.4, so 4 bug fix releases for that one.

You can see the last several years of releases here.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

AAAHHH for the days when users complained that updates didn't come out fast enough.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Schooner
    Schooner Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, those were the days, but my point is still valid - I think. Do I have to back up my whole application and data file? Can I trust and verify the update? Can I archive all my previous data? Do I have to do it?
    I’m an old fart that started programming in the 1960s, so I have lots of decades of misplaced trust. I’m happy backup and archive one a month or so, but daily updates imply far too much work or far too much trust.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

Quicken Mac automatically backs up your data file before performing an update. It also moves the prior version of the application to your Trash, so you can retrieve it in the unlikely event you need to revert.

And of course, they don’t release updates nearly as often as you suggest. Since last June, there have been 5 feature releases and 15 bug fix updates— so 20 updates over the past year, or an average of one every 18 days. And you can skip installing an update when it prompts that a newer version is available.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Schooner
    Schooner Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification. If the app is in the e trash, I can see a path to recovery. 15 bug fixes??
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

After each major release, there are usually a few follow-on bug fix releases over the next several weeks - the previous 7.0 release went up to 7.0.4, so 4 bug fix releases for that one.

You can see the last several years of releases here.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.