Change Financial Institution on an Existing Account

Options
wolveye
wolveye Member ✭✭

I am not sure what I did or how it happened, but the Financial Institution on a bank account was changed. When I first added the account, I set it up as a Citizens bank account. In the picture below, you can now see it is showing as a US Bank account. I want to change it back to Citizens and would like to keep all the history. I cannot edit it on the account details screen.

I have read through a number of posts which say I should be able to deactivate the account on the Online Services tab and then reactivate it pointing to Citizens, but that is not an available option (screen print below). Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks for your help.

Best Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Perhaps —

• Backup the file
    • Create a new account. I’d start it not activated to a bank
    • Move the existing transactions from old account to new (a Rt-click option in the register)
    • Check things over, especially transfers.
    • Delete the old account, if possible. If not, make it separate and hidden.
    • Set up the new account for online access deleting any duplicate downloaded transactions.

• wolveye
    wolveye Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@q_lurker - Followed your advice and am all set now. Thank you!

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you have a recent backup file from just before this issue occurred? That would probably be the fastest and perhaps far easiest way to correct this situation.

Also, do you have one of more US Bank accounts? If so, then when you reauthorized from EWC to EWC+ is when this issue likely occurred. When going through the reauthorization process extra care needs to be taken to ensure that the downloaded data during the setup process is correctly matched by Quicken. Here is a picture showing what to look for and correct as needed. This is for PNC Bank but this applies to every financial institution anytime there is a connection method change, Reset Account or Add Account/Set Up Now where this popup comes up asking us what to do with it.

Any questions or comments?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• wolveye
    wolveye Member ✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately this happened a month and a half ago and I just noticed recently. So all of my backups are more recent. I was hoping there would be an easy way to fix it, but it doesn't appear so. I am thinking I can close out the old account as of the date the financial institution was changed and then set up a new account as of that date. That way I will still have the history. I did have another US Bank account and probably didn't pay attention when I reauthorized as you pointed out. Lesson learned - - I will need to be more careful moving forward. Appreciate the quick response.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

@wolveye

I'm missing something.

Since the acct doesn't appear to be connected for download, why can't you simply delete the US Bank info, type in Citizen's bank and then proceed to the "Set Up Now" dialog?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• wolveye
    wolveye Member ✭✭
    Options

From the first screen print (highlighted in yellow), the Financial Institution is not editable

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Most curious. Because the inability to change the FI is usually an indicator that the acct is enabled for download … but with no acct number or routing number this acct is clearly offline.

Have you tried Validating the file? Supervalidating? Because I'm suspecting data corruption

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is the checking account the linked cash account for a brokerage account?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• wolveye
    wolveye Member ✭✭
    Options

@NotACPA Have you tried Validating the file? Supervalidating? Because I'm suspecting data corruption - - I did validate the file and no issues with that account were found

@mshiggins The checking account is not a linked cash account for a brokerage account.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Perhaps —

• Backup the file
    • Create a new account. I’d start it not activated to a bank
    • Move the existing transactions from old account to new (a Rt-click option in the register)
    • Check things over, especially transfers.
    • Delete the old account, if possible. If not, make it separate and hidden.
    • Set up the new account for online access deleting any duplicate downloaded transactions.

• wolveye
    wolveye Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@q_lurker - Followed your advice and am all set now. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.