How do I lock the column width in my registers

Options
cookcee
cookcee Member ✭✭

After a recent update, I am having a problem with the column widths changing. I never had this problem in the past. This does not happen in the full-screen view, but I do not want to use Quicken in the full-screen view as I toggle back and forth from Quicken to the internet or to other files. When I open Quicken and go to an account register, the date and balance columns have narrowed so that information is no longer visible, i.e., part of the date & balance is cut off. Additionally, the payment and deposit columns have narrowed in size. So I adjust the column widths, and they stay the same until I close Quicken. When I open Quicken the next time, the column widths have returned to a default that cuts off some of the columns and narrows others. I do not want to spend time adjusting the column widths in all of my account registers every time I open Quicken. How do I lock the column widths so I do not have to deal with this issue?

Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @cookcee,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did you first notice this issue? Do you have cloud sync turned on? You can check this by going to Edit>Preferences>Mobile & Web.

Does it prompt you to sync to the cloud when you close out of Quicken?

Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• cookcee
    cookcee Member ✭✭
    Options
    I do not understand how your answer is relevant to my question about locking the column width of registers in Quicken.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your response,

The widths should not be changing, so I asked questions to try to troubleshoot what would be causing it.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@cookcee in addition to Kristina’s questions, another point to aid in the troubleshooting would be your data file name. Sometimes long data file names or data file names with spaces can cause odd issues like the one you are seeing with register column widths. And especially if the space is at the end of the file name, like:

MyData .qdf

Please tell us your data file name.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• cookcee
    cookcee Member ✭✭
    Options

I think the problem began when I got a new laptop using Windows 11 - could that have caused this problem?

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@cookcee please answer the questions you have been asked so we can eliminate possible causes.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• cookcee
    cookcee Member ✭✭
    Options

Please see my answers below:

When did you first notice this issue? When I got a new computer and started using Quicken (Home, Business and Rental Property) on Windows 11

Do you have cloud sync turned on? Does it prompt you to sync to the cloud when you close out of Quicken? Yes, but only for one file ending in Cdata

Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive, or is it on a shared network drive? C Drive

Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)?  One Drive

Please tell us your data file name. I have seven data files, but none have a space between the name and .qdf. The names are all short: Cdata, PVA, NJ, GB, SJ, GEW, GX.

The column widths do not remain set in any of the data files. An example, when I open a bank account if the total balance is $101.866.34, the 6.34 at the end will be cut off because the 'Balance' column is not fully visible. My only option is to move the 'Charge' column to the left, and this then moves the 'Payment' and 'Balance' columns to the left, and all numbers are visible. The next time I open the account, the columns will have shifted, and I have to redo it again. Additionally, the columns are too narrow if the amounts are eight digits or more, so I have to widen the columns to work on that account — again, they do not remain widened; I have to adjust the column widths every time I go into an account. The date column also needs to be adjusted if i want to see it clearly.

I am using standard menus and large fonts.

This happens whether I am viewing in full screen or a smaller-sized window.

This is a very frustrating problem as it happens for every account in every data file I am working on and adds unnecessary time and frustration to my workday. I use Quicken to do bookkeeping for five clients and myself.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am using standard menus and large fonts.

I wonder whether you are encountering a bug in Large Fonts. I tried to reproduce your problem in Large Fonts, but could not. But we have seen that not every bug affects every user.

If your vision allows, perhaps try using normal fonts for a little while and see whether the problem persists. If the problem only occurs when using large fonts, that would be a big clue.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• cookcee
    cookcee Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried changing to regular fonts - I am still having the problem of the 'Balance" column being cut off when I open an account, and I need to adjust column widths to work on all accounts.

Question to Quicken: why are the regular fonts so ridiculously small?

This discussion has been closed.