USAA authorization problem

Options
Lbranchf
Lbranchf Member

When trying to update my USAA accounts in Quicken, I get the message: USAA Federal Savings Bank needs you to authorize your accounts. I follow the process, and have multiple messages from USAA that "Quicken has been connected to your USAA account." Clearly the problem is on Quicken's side. Please help.

Comments

• farinasv
    farinasv Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

I have been having issues for more than two months now. Got notice that I needed to reauthorize. Have been trying this for those two months. Either get a can not connect error from inside Quicken or get a webpage popup

but the only thing that is on the webpage is this message:

{
    "error": "invalid_request",
    "error_description": "Validation error"
    }

Would like to get this resolved. I am paying an annual fee for quicken to only have to manually input my transactions?? This has gone on for too long

[Merged Post]

• jimwardjr
    jimwardjr Member
    Options

Been having the same problem. Quicken just says to check out the community forum, which simply reaffirms that others have the same problem, but with no solution.

• Michaelxxx
    Michaelxxx Member
    Options

Got this USAA Re-autorization email a while back.

Just got it again and the same issue.

error message

{
    }

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When encountering this issue, the first troubleshooting step is to try temporarily setting a different default browser.

If that does not resolve the issue, then the next step is to verify you have VPN, firewall, antivirus, and any pop up blockers temporarily paused and try again.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• sbcrair
    sbcrair Member
    Options

I was having the same issue as above (e.g., getting "{
    })

in a Chrome tab window. I opened Safari, chose Safari as my default browser (go to Safari, Settings, General, click the button to make Safari the default browser). Then went back to Quicken, and tried to update again. It opened Safari, and the rest of the process worked fine to reconnect and download transactions to my accounts. Apparently, it just doesn't work well with Chrome.

• L1011
    L1011 Member ✭✭
    Options

Same problem. When trying to sign in in the re-authorization process a web page comes up with error msgs.

Changed de-fault browser from Firefox to Edge and that solved the problem.

• robnrbrtsn
    robnrbrtsn Member ✭✭
    Options

FINALLY managed to get it to work through Microsoft's Edge browser as default.

• robnrbrtsn
    robnrbrtsn Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken is lucky I am persistent, I was about to cancel my subscription for good with the lack of clarity on how to resolve this!! We should get paid for being your tech support.

• Sky Blue
    Sky Blue Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina, I have the same problem with Quicken and my USAA accounts. I have tried all your suggestions (Edge browser, turned off firewall, turned off antivirus, turned off pop-up blockers, not using a VPN). USAA shows my accounts are authorized. Quicken says "Sorry. We encountered a problem. (It's not your fault.)" Then it provides options to try again, which just leads to the same error, or enter transactions manually. Months and months of attempts. When is Quicken going to resolve this problem?

• pablok
    pablok Member
    Options

I'm getting the same error described above.

{
    }

Your suggestions have not worked. Edge is my default and I've closed the other programs when trying. I've been able to reauthorize my other accounts (e.g., Discover and AMEX) but USAA continues to fail.

• motjebben
    motjebben Member ✭✭
    Options

I am still having this problem too for 3 months now - the case was closed without resolution:

Please, Quicken, address this problem.

• Chris Schierer
    Options

If you don't want to change your default browser, you can copy the URL from Chrome when the error occurs, and then paste it into another browser (e.g., Edge) to complete the authorization.

• Chris Schierer
    Options

Nope. Never mind. That doesn't work either.

• Howard-Italy
    Howard-Italy Member ✭✭
    Options

After July update I lost my connection to only my USAA accounts, again. I too get the message to allow Quicken to have USAA authorize my accounts, get the screen that says my accounts have been successfully authorized, then go back into Quicken to see the message "Sorry we encountered an error (it's not your fault)".

This is clearly an error on the Quicken program side as USAA acknowledges by email that Quicken has successfully linked to my accounts.

I hope Quicken will address this, but as they are the only tracking software out there we are (paying) slaves to their incompetence.

• crysp
    crysp Member
    Options

Since Quicken started to warn about the change in the connection method I have tried multiple times unsuccessfully. Like the previous poster I get a confirmation notification from USAA that the application has been authorized. Yet each time Quicken displays a time out error after the auth. Now I am unable to download anything from my account. This is an unacceptable malfunction on the application side and suggestions so far have been unacceptable workarounds rather than fixes.

• rcraigy
    rcraigy Member ✭✭
    Options

The authorization works ok for me, Safari is default browser. BUT I have to do it every time I update Quicken. I did find some directions for this but it started out Select Tools menu, I don't have a Tools menu item! I looked and found two closed USAA accounts, but no way to get them "disconnected" during an update, because they were disconnected years ago when I closed them.

BTW I DO NOT have this problem on the Quicken App on iOS. Perhaps because it only checks accounts that you specifically "turn on."

• Michael England
    Options

Hey All! I've been a loyal user if Quicken on my Windows PC for over a decade. I've been experiencing the aggravating { "error": "invalid_request", "error_description": "Validation error" } issue myself for quite a while. I called USAA and they were unable to help. But after reading through the above posts, I downloaded Firefox (for free) and set it as my default browser. I tried connecting my Quicken accounts to USAA and with Firefox it worked like a champ! It seems the issue may be with the way the Chrome browser engine (also used by edge) handles the authentication process between quicken and the bank. This may not work for everyone, but quickly solved things for me. Give it a try :-) MikeE

• motjebben
    motjebben Member ✭✭
    Options

@Michael England : thank you for the suggestion. I just added Firefox and tried again. USAA tells me it authorized Quicken, but Quicken times out. Hence, I'm still stuck almost a half-year since I first asked for help.

• jwmeador3
    Options

Authorization that sticks does not work for me using Quicken for Mac, the latest, and using either Safari or Firefox as the default browser. It goes through the authorization process, seemingly correctly, and downloads transactions, but then gives the error message (FDP-390) every time I update transactions. It seems to still download them, so I just ignore the error, but it does not give me much confidence. This has been going on for more than 6 months now. I remember reading that Quicken was going to fix this with a new update, but there have been several since that message and it never gets fixed.

• EFB
    EFB Member
    Options

Since the last update, Quicken will no longer connect to USAA without reauthorizing my USAA accounts and connecting those downloads to existing USAA accounts. I've called USAA and they said Quicken is authorized to get the account data. The problem rests with Quicken.

• TomStewart
    TomStewart Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

After going through [Removed - Disruptive] Quicken Support's algorithm, including moving the Quicken file to the C: drive, what actually worked was opening up the brower settings (I had already switched the default browser to Edge, so it was the Edge settings, the horizontal elipsis in the upper right corner) then click History, then click the trashcan icon in the upper right, then selct "All time" and check the boxes for Browsing History, Download History, Cookies adn other site data, and Cached Images and files, then click the "Clear now" button to clear all the history data.

After that, re-authorizing the USAA accounts went very smooth. Not sure why this has not been documented before, but you're welcome!

• peckzoo
    peckzoo Member ✭✭
    Options

I am on win10 with Chrome and Brave. I get the same lines of code on the webpage that quickens connection process sends me too. Universally deleting history/cookies/data/cache is not an option for me. Surely quicken does not require this to work?

• motjebben
    motjebben Member ✭✭
    Options

@TomStewart ,
    Thank you for the suggestion, but it did not work for me. (I tried your suggestion now after some weeks after I reinstalled Windows 11 ARM in a Parallels virtual machine running on a Mac M2 laptop, hence, MS Edge was already quite "new" settings and history-wise).

I have had this problem so long now, that I think it is likely that there is something in the interplay between USAA, Quicken and Windows11 ARM in Parallels that just don't work. Fortunately, my other banking downloads work well, hence, I have reduced my banking with USAA for now so that I don't have anything to manually add.

This discussion has been closed.