Can't restore from a backup file

Options

I am pastor at a church that uses Quicken to track our finances. Our treasurer has a copy of the Quicken program on her home computer, where she does the work. Each month she saves a Quicken backup file to a jump drive and gives to me to update the Quicken program we have on the church computer. (So if something happens to her computer at home, we have a backup at the church.) We have done this monthly for years.

Today, when I try to restore the backup on the church computer with the file from the jump drive, it isn't working. I get the error message: "Quicken cannot complete your request. Please try again later." I waited and tried later and keep getting the same error message. I even tried backing up from an earlier file (a different file), but I get the same message. Please help.

Tagged:

Comments

• Baptist Church
    Options

I even tried restoring after temporarily disabling the church computer's antivirus program. No go. Same error message.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You could try changing the Quicken data file backup extension from .QDF-backup to .QDF and double clicking the file to open it in Quicken.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How about having the treasurer create another backup? There could have been a hiccup during backup creation

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Rather than using backups, move a COPY (using Windows Explorer) of the .QDF from home to church. Just overwrite the file on the church's computer when you do the update. Backups are great for safety since they are usually created with dates in their file's name so you can have lots of them in storage, but moving the copy is the easiest method.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Tom2172
    Tom2172 Member ✭✭
    Options

getting same error trying to Retore from backup can't complete try again later

Window 10

• Tom2172
    Tom2172 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options
    same error on all backups will not Restore
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Tom2172, what is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? What is the error message?

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can reproduce this in R50.8. The backup seems to restore fine despite the message. I have no idea what "request" the message refers to.

Seems like it's best not to restore backups but to rename them as .QDF and just open them.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you decide to rename the file changing the extension to .QDF, do it to a copy of the file, not the original because if you do it to the original backup, you no longer have it as a backup in case you need it in the future.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.