Tool for identifying duplicates

Options
telemachos
telemachos Member, Mac Beta Beta
edited October 2023 in Product Enhancements

A quick search reveals that many users find themselves in a situation where they have duplicate transactions (due to QIF import, changing connection types, etc).

Do others agree that it would be useful for Quicken to provide a tool for identifying (and removing) duplicate transactions?

10 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• JBdit
    JBdit Member
    Options

YES!!! This is an annoying, ongoing problem—and a tool to identify these duplicates would help greatly. I don't think I would have Quicken automatically remove them as I would prefer to do that manually, but the option would be nice.

• Grandps
    Grandps Member
    Options

Absolutely yes

• Ethelred
    Ethelred Member
    Options

The fact that it doesn't exist tells you everything about the company's priorities. I've been a user since circa 1991; seems like this would've moved up on the production queue by now.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Ethelred This feature request currently has just 3 votes from users. There are other Idea threads here which have 20, 30, 50, 200 and more votes. So what does this tell me about the company's priorities? Is this a worthwhile feature? Yes, I agree it is. Should it be a top priority? For me personally, no. Among fellow Quicken users here in this community forum, apparently not. The fact this hasn't been implemented doesn't tell me anything about the company's priorities other than that they are working on other priorities which get more votes from users.

Look, we all use Quicken differently and have different opinions about what should be Quicken's highest priorities. And we're all frustrated at times that they haven't addressed things we want them to. But with hundreds of feature requests, the reality is that the developers can't address them all except over a long period of time. But I feel it's incorrect to say their priorities aren't right just because this one feature (which has a low vote count) hasn't been implemented.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

seems like this would've moved up on the production queue by now.

Interesting concept, the longer a low priority feature isn't implemented, the higher the priority it should get.

If this was a quick fix for some "annoyance" maybe I could see the logic, but anything that would take a fair amount of work like this feature would, it seems to me it will always stay at the bottom of heap, and never get implemented.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Steve Ettlinger
    Steve Ettlinger Member ✭✭
    Options

I have hd to remove dupes several times in the last few years. There are two problems: Creating dupes, and AT LEAST identifying dupes so that one can be removed manually. Some dupes come without or with wrong categories, so the manual removal is necessary. This seems to be something that Q. could offer easily. And should, for sure.

• Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I just had to identify and remove a bunch of duplicate entries after I switched to the new Citi access method. Manual inspection is crude and time-consuming. Using a FIND ALL is also crude.

Sometimes the duplicate entries are my fault, because I manually enter a transaction in one credit card account, but in reality I used a different card for that transaction.

Either way, it's past time that Quicken had a feature to auto-identify duplicates and "almost" duplicates.

Been using Quicken (and TurboTax) since DOS days in 1990s.
  • KeyJusCha
    KeyJusCha Member ✭✭
    Options

This is the #1 feature I miss from Microsoft Money. That program did this and did it well. It was also easy to "force" missed transactions in the auto download without having to do manual entry. That was 20 years ago… how can tech go backward like Quicken does?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2
    Options

10 votes in almost a year isn't going to get this suggestion any kind of priority.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@KeyJusCha This is a product idea thread for Quicken Mac, not Quicken Windows. I couldn't find an equivalent idea thread for QWin so you might want to start one.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.