Fidelity Investments - OL-297 error - started in March

Options
rgh22
rgh22 Member ✭✭

I am attempting to activate one step update with Fidelity Investments. The resulting message is attached in image below. The error code is [OL-297-A].

I am running Quicken Version R50.8, Build 27.1.50.8 on Windows 10 Pro. I am using no special firewall or security programs aside from what is provided natively by Windows 10 Pro.

The following logfile likes are added to the connection log:

20230613 16:37:57: QFN: Beginning send to https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw2800/fib.dll
20230613 16:39:27: ***QFN kQFFinished: returns 67186457
20230613 16:39:27: It was not possible to connect to the revocation server or a definitive response could not be obtained.

20230613 16:39:27: QFN: End send to https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw2800/fib.dll, netstatus 36

Why is this connection failing?

Best Answer

• rgh22
    rgh22 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

This account is a Fidelity IRA account. Connection and downloading worked perfectly for several years until late March 2023. I also lost connectivity to a UBS IRA account at the same time. Concurrently, my daughter has a Roth IRA with Fidelity and her Quicken connect and download service failed at the same time.

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @rgh22,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

An OL-297 error usually appears when your computer cannot establish an internet connection with Quicken. Please note, these errors do not mean the computer has lost internet connection, simply that Quicken cannot establish an internet connection. Also, you may be able to successfully sign in to your bank's website, but still receive the error in Quicken, due to Quicken being unable to establish an internet connection.

You may follow this link to access a FAQ that provides more information as well as some troubleshooting steps. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding (just in case).

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is this a normal Fidelity brokerage account -
    or a Fidelity account used for IRA
    or a Fidelity account for 401k, 403b, etc

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• rgh22
    rgh22 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

This account is a Fidelity IRA account. Connection and downloading worked perfectly for several years until late March 2023. I also lost connectivity to a UBS IRA account at the same time. Concurrently, my daughter has a Roth IRA with Fidelity and her Quicken connect and download service failed at the same time.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

tnx - nothing special - Fidelity is still showing Direct Connect for the download protocol -
    our various Fidelity IRA accounts are still working fine…

07776 07776 07776 Fidelity Investments
    http://www.Fidelity.com (800) 544-7931
    http://personal.fidelity.com/misc/partners/quicken/disclaimer.shtml ACTIVE
    INVESTMENT,ACCOUNTINFO&DIRECT

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• rgh22
    rgh22 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I attempting to resolve my issue connecting to Fidelity Investments whereby I am receiving an OL-297-A error, I have tried all of the proposed solutions provided by users on this board as well in the Quicken published troubleshooting notes. I also turned off all filtering on my Linksys router. Unfortunately, the problem still persists.

Please continue providing solutions. I must have a unique situation.

Thank you.
  • rgh22
    rgh22 Member ✭✭
    Options

The phenomena I described earlier in this thread regarding an OL-297-A error has now affected my accounts with E-Trade, TIAA, and Wells Fargo Advisors. They are failing to update. Each update attempt results in the connection log file entries below.

• 20230615 21:47:47: QFN: Beginning send to https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw2800/fib.dll
    • 20230615 21:47:47: ***QFN kQFFinished: returns 67186457
    • 20230615 21:47:47: It was not possible to connect to the revocation server or a definitive response could not be obtained.
    • 20230615 21:49:04: QFN: End send to https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw2800/fib.dll, netstatus 36
    • 20230615 21:49:04:

Any insights would be appreciated. I have attempted all of the guidance suggested thus far with no positive outcome.

Thank you.

• rgh22
    rgh22 Member ✭✭
    Options

I have discovered something interesting about the possible cause of the OL-297-A error issue. There appears to be a correlation between certain Windows 10 updates and the manifestation of this issue. I rolled back several Windows updates (to approximately May 2023). Subsequently, my Quicken transaction downloads from Wells Fargo Advisors, TIAA, and E-Trade started to work again. However, my Quicken transaction downloads from Fidelity, UBS, and Franklin Templeton did not.

I discovered this phenomena after running Quicken on a different Windows 10 PC that had not been updated with Microsoft updates but had the latest Quicken version. On that PC, all of the transaction downloads worked correctly.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is that there is a correlation between this OL-297-A error and Windows updates. It could be that various Quicken updates and Windows updates are incompatible. From reading some of the Windows update release notes, I saw mention of updates to TLS and SSL functionality but I did not delve into the details.

Please pass this on to Quicken software engineers. I trust they have the resources to investigate this issue more thoroughly and potentially remediate it in future Quicken releases.

• rgh22
    rgh22 Member ✭✭
    Options

Today, July 24, 2023, I updated Quicken to R51.10. The OL-297-A error issue mentioned in earlier posts on this thread was not resolved.

This discussion has been closed.