Column headers don't appear

Options
EmKay
EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2023 in Investing (Windows)

The issue I reported in at least one previous post is still an issue. I remain unsure why my posts are "closed" when they are not resolved.

In addition, I remain unable to use the "Report a problem" menu option to report this, as I have also previously reported, because that menu option (though it says "thanks for sending") locks up Quicken and apparently never really submits the problem.

I have been told in private messages here that this (the "report a problem" bug) will be fixed, but it has been a problem for a VERY long time and is not yet fixed, so this forum seems to be the only "asynchronous" way (to communicate without having to wait for responses) for me to submit bugs.

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hmmm, it appears to me that nobody in the Quicken Community, not even a Community moderator, had any advice to give. Community posts that go unanswered should, IMHO, never just simply be closed.

Reviewing your original post, I'm puzzled as to why the Portfolio View title line is not tall enough to correctly display 3 lines of text.
    Could this be an issue specific to your display settings, e.g., resolution, screen size, window size, etc.

All I have to offer is for you to try the following and see if it helps resolve the issue. Failing that, a call to Quicken Support will be in order. Let them do a screen share session with you, to show the problem and try to figure out how to fix it.

If you haven't rebooted Windows since the installation of the latest Quicken update, please do that first and try Quicken again.

Font size problems? Display issues? (Windows)

If you are using a version of Quicken at the Quicken 2019 US R 19.44 patch level or newer and you have previously made the following Compatibility change, please undo the change.
    Users of other Quicken versions please try the following:

• Close Quicken !!! (This process won't work while Quicken is running!)
    • Check the Compatibility tab settings in your Quicken Desktop program icon:
    • In the Windows Start Menu right-click the Quicken icon. Select "Open File Location". This brings up a Windows File Explorer window. Right-click the highlighted Quicken shortcut line item.
      or
    • Go to the traditional Windows Desktop and right-click the Quicken program icon.
      or
    • Use Windows File Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\ and right-click qw.exe
    • Now click Properties.
    • Select the Compatibility tab.
    • Uncheck all settings.
    • Windows 7, 8.1: Check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".
      Windows 10, 11: Click "Change high DPI settings". Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:" and select "Application" (also try the other available options repeating the entire procedure!). Click OK.
    • Be sure to uncheck the "Run this program in compatibility mode for [older Windows version]" setting.
    • Click the "Change settings for all users" button.
    • Click Apply and exit.
    • Reboot Windows.
    • Now start Quicken and see if that makes a difference.

Some additional tuning suggestions:

• Try this workaround for 4k monitors https://www.quicken.com/support/work-around-display-issues-high-resolution-monitors
    • System requirements: 1024x768 or higher screen resolution, 1280x1024 minimum for Large Fonts settings
    • Unless absolutely required, try not to use "View / Use large fonts"
    • Try setting the bank account registers to use a different font style or size: go to Edit / Preferences / Register, click the Fonts button and try different fonts.
    • Try adjusting the bank account registers' row height: go to Edit / Preferences / Register, choose among the available Row Height choices: Compact, Comfortable or Standard
    • If all else fails, try changing Windows Control Panel / Display options for "Make text and other items … smaller or larger" to use a different scaling level, but try not to exceed 125%
    • Try using the Windows Magnifier. Press the Windows logo key and the = key to open Magnifier. Customize Magnifier to increment Zoom in 25% intervals.

• Q97
    Q97 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Are you using a 4k high-resolution monitor? On mine, I also have this issue. With the various compatibility settings

https://www.quicken.com/support/menu-quicken-missing-not-working-appears-doubled-or-font-size-too-large-or-small

most of the UI renders OK, but there are still some issues, like the missing column headers shown above. If this is your issue too, you may want to vote for this enhancement

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@UKR - I'm pretty sure that, at various times and for various reasons (mostly report previewing issues), I have made all of these adjustments, but I will try them again. Will adjusting banking register settings have any impact in investment screens, though?

@Q97 - I really have no idea if I have a 4K monitor. It's my laptop's display. How do I check? Device Manager says I have a "Generic PnP Monitor."

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I really have no idea if I have a 4K monitor. It's my laptop's display. How do I check? Device Manager says I have a "Generic PnP Monitor."

Right click on your Windows desktop and select Display settings. Your monitor's resolution is the highest number shown in the Display Resolution list.

QWin Premier subscription
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@EmKay ,
    please tell us more about your laptop monitor:
    What size is it? 13", 15", 17", other?
    What's the resolution setting? As mentioned earlier, Quicken System requirements are: 1024x768 or higher screen resolution, 1280x1024 minimum when using View / Large Fonts setting.
    What's the "Make text and other items … smaller or larger" setting? Does it exceed 125%?

I'm running my 17" laptop monitor at 1600*900 resolution using the "Make text … smaller" (100%) setting. I'm not using View / Use large fonts. Quicken runs in a window that is about 12" wide and as tall as the display allows (8"). Luckily, my old eyes are still good enough to not needing any Ease of Access helpers.

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jim_Harman 3840x2160

@UKR I guess it's a 15" monitor. I'm set at the recommended resolution, which is 3840x2160. The scale setting is high - at 250%, but that's recommended by Windows and that works for my eyes. In Quicken, View > Use Large Fonts is OFF.

• Q97
    Q97 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@EmKay That’s the same 4k resolution as my monitor where I also see the same missing column headers. Consider voting for the enhancement I mentioned above to encourage Quicken to prioritize better support for these increasingly common higher resolutions.

This discussion has been closed.