Something very wrong

Options
Ritzy
Ritzy Member ✭✭

Let me begin by saying that I manually make entries from my financial statements on a monthly basis. (no downloading anything). I was advised that I would not have to update because of making entries manually. I am using version R41.10.

I am transferring stock from account "1' to account "2". I was successful making transfers according to the investment transaction report for account "1". Each transfer showed the correct number of stocks being transferred to account "2". However, when I checked my portfolio of stocks in account "2" the number of stocks that were transferred show some stocks being doubled and tripled. Plus the cost basis is incorrect.

I hope there is someone out there who can give me guidance as how to correct number of shares and cost. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

HOW did you do that those transfers? What command in Q?

And did you take a backup before this started? Because you're probably going to need it

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Insufficient information, but maybe this background will help.

You should have had a good backup file established when heading into this change. (Anytime you are doing something new in Quicken.)

You should be using the Enter Transactions button to get to the Shares Transferred between Accounts action.

That action generated a Remove Shares in your account 1 and Add Shares (1 transaction per lot) in your account 2. But once you do that, the Removes and Adds are disconnected - a change to one does not change the other(s). By deleting a Remove and redoing the transfer, you could create the situation you describe.

That same disconnected state means that to undo that Shares Transferred, you would delete both the Remove Shares in Account 1 and the Add Shares in account 2. Or you would restore that backup file.

Hope that helps.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another approach, assuming you have a good backup or can simply delete the transactions you've made and assuming you've transferred all the stock: Change the name of account "1" to the appropriate name in account "2" and make a note to yourself in the "Comments" box under the General tab of the Account Details window as to the date you made the change and why. Particularly if you're not downloading transactions I don't see any need to create a new Account.

This discussion has been closed.