net worth reporting failure

Options
jbm02
jbm02 Member ✭✭
edited July 2023 in Reports (Windows)

I am getting an erroneous result when computing "net worth" in the reports center.  When comparing the change to a year earlier the current ie 2023 value is accurate
until the first week in march, then it drops precipitously but not to
zero.  I find no unusual transactions during those dates.  I ran the
validate function and no errors on that date found.  Any suggestions on
what is wrong and suggestions for a fix?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Customize the report to only include selected accounts and identify the account(s) that are causing the problem.

If an investing account is involved, click on Holdings and adjust the As of date to see which securities are causing the problem.

One possibility is that one or more securities have downloaded an incorrect share price. When you have identified the security(s), click on the security name to open the Security Detail view then click on More and edit the price history. Review the history and correct or delete any grossly incorrect entries.

For any money market funds, Stable Value funds, or securities that are not traded on a US exchange, you should go to the Security List and un-check the Download Quotes box. That will prevent incorrect prices from being downloaded.

Please let us know what you find.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I assume you're referring to the Net Worth Report that you get when you click on Reports > Net Worth & Balances > New Worth, and not one of the various Net Worth numbers available under Views under the Home tab?

If my assumption is correct then it seems like creating a Net Worth report with a custom date range of "Last year" and with an interval of a week and "Show Graph" turned on should allow you to easily and quickly spot the Account or Accounts that are contributing to the precipitous drop and when it happened.

• jbm02
    jbm02 Member ✭✭
    Options

I cannot identify one security that is responsible. I was looking at this account and went to the holdings tab which indicated an accurate market value but if I scroll down to the account status tab, it shows an inaccurate security value and account status. I can't isolate the disconnect.

• Tom Young
    Options

So it appears that the Net Worth Report is using the incorrect "Total Market Value" displayed in the Account Status window as opposed to the correct market value total in the Holdings window?

If you've got a pretty good fix on the time period where the disconnect occurred and Validate didn't fix things I guess that the next thing I'd try is to work through the transactions from just before the error, one at a time deleting them and then re-entering them manually, checking each time you do this to see if that gets the Account Status window to the correct number. It does happen that a transaction that looks perfectly proper in the Transaction List, for whatever reason, will get Quicken discombobulated.

• jbm02
    jbm02 Member ✭✭
    Options

Tom, I tried that. I have it narrowed down to March 2-3 but deleting and reentering the transactions in that account from 3/1-3/1 does not change the result. When I look at my home screen "value" view i get the correct market value but off on the side with the account lists, the incorrect total is displayed which is consistent with the total account value noted on the account overview screen reached from the holdings tab.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Taking a step back, clicking on Holdings and changing the As of date in the Holdings section at the top affects the numbers in that section but does not and should not affect the numbers in the Account Status section below. The Account Status section always shows numbers as of today.

When you change the As of date in the Holdings section and the total at the bottom of the Market column changes dramatically, what changes next to the securities that are listed? The number of shares? the Quote/Price?

The Market Value of each security should be the number of shares times the Quote/Price. I am guessing that the Quote/Price has been recorded incorrectly for one or more of your securities.

• Tom Young
    Options

Do you have any bonds in the Account(s)? That's an easy place to get tripped up both on the number of "shares" and "price."

• jbm02
    jbm02 Member ✭✭
    Options

No I don't, and the discrepency is about 30% of the account value, far larger then any single holding to have a price error but I will look, just not now.

• jbm02
    jbm02 Member ✭✭
    Options

Jim Harmon You asked "When you change the As of date in the Holdings section and the total at
    the bottom of the Market column changes dramatically, what changes next
    to the securities that are listed?" The market value never appears inaccurate when I went back to the first of the year, it is just the security value in the account status drop down.

• jbm02
    jbm02 Member ✭✭
    Options

tom Young Just to be clear, I never find an incorrect total market value in the holdings window or in my portfolio view,

"So it appears that the Net Worth Report is using the incorrect "Total Market Value" displayed in the Account Status window as opposed to the correct market value total in the Holdings window?

• Jim_Harman
    Options

I am not sure how the numbers in the Account Status section of the Account overview are calculated, but I have looked at discrepancies between the Net Worth & Balances > Net Worth report and the Investing > Portfolio Value reports. These reports are calculated differently and this can help uncover issues in your data.

Do these reports disagree for your data? If so, please see this discussion for more information.

• Tom Young
    Options

"Just to be clear, I never find an incorrect total market value in the holdings window or in my portfolio view,"

That's great, but it doesn't really tell me where the number shown in the Net Worth report is coming from. One problem with Quicken, it appears, is that is seems to store what should be the same number in different places but seems to sometimes calculate this "same number" again, sometimes coming to a different answer. Nobody here - I expect even the Mods - have a good understanding of how Quicken works "under the hood." and I've always wondered where Quicken gets its figures for Reports, as complaints such as yours are certainly not infrequent.

This discussion has been closed.