Quicken flashes logo then does not start

Options
coldje
coldje Member ✭✭

When I attempt to start Quicken, the logo flashes and then the program does not load.

I have tried disabling firewall and anti-virus. Using Ctrl-Shift to start. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. Uninstalled Windows updates since the last time Quicken worked. Tried running as Administrator. Tried running from qw.exe. Manually installing the latest qw update. I have been on the phone with Quicken Tech Support for an hour while the tech walked me through the usual suspects with no success.

Is there something I'm missing?

Tagged:

Comments

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you've enabled Controlled Folder Access, have you enabled qw.exe as an allowed app in Controlled Folder Access? But, I can't imagine that Quicken Tech Support didn't already suggest this.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @coldje,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start? When you try to open Quicken and the logo flashes, does Quicken show on the task bar, even though the program did not open? It sounds like you have already been through most of the steps for when the program crashes; the one thing you didn't mention is whether you tried restarting your computer.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• coldje
    coldje Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Quicken does not start. It does not appear on the Task Bar. Yes, have restarted several times trying to find an interfering Startup program or Firewall setting. I have removed several programs installed since the problem starting happening.

• coldje
    coldje Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

RalphC, Controlled Folder Access was turned OFF. Just for testing, I turned it ON, added the Quicken folder to the protected folder list and added the qw.exe file to the protected apps. Rebooted. Didn't make a difference, but a good thought. No, Tech Support never mentioned it.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@coldje, I would suggest starting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking and then try starting Quicken.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • coldje
    coldje Member ✭✭
    Options

Greg_the_Geek, it was a good idea, but did not work. Quicken has the same behavior: flashes the logo and then does not run.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited June 2023
    Options

Your issue acts like a corrupted installation.

Often Quicken does not uninstall completely. There may be a leftover corrupted file causing the problem. Not that long ago, the Quicken Support page had instructions for manually deleting folders that sometimes did not get removed after uninstalling. The page has since been removed after changes were made to make it unnecessary; Quicken uninstall is supposed to be clean now. But it's not always.

After uninstalling one more time, you might look for and delete the Quicken folders in the locations below. The first 2 listed (Program Data & AppData) are hidden folders so you will need to unhide them if you haven't already. Then restart Windows and try re-installing Quicken.

C:\ProgramData\Quicken

C:\Users\[Your_User_Name]\AppData\Roaming\Quicken

C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken

Adding- I found one more location to check and delete the Quicken folder after an uninstall-

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Quicken

• coldje
    coldje Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you markus1957, that was very good information. Some of those folders were there and I deleted them, restarted. re-installed. Still same behavior: red logo flashes and Quicken will not start.

• MickeyMoog
    MickeyMoog Member
    Options

I am Having the same problem as above..when starting Quecken the logo flashes and then continues to think. Any one find out how to fix this or do I have to buy a new version of Quicken.. I have 2015 right now

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I had this problem about two weeks ago. What fixed it for me was to install a Mondo patch for R49.29 which enabled me to open Quicken and log in successfully. After everything seemed to be working correctly, I updated back up to R50.16. I haven't had a problem since.

This discussion has been closed.