Show stocks/Index Fund over time

Options
David1231
David1231 Member ✭✭
edited July 2023 in Investing (Windows)

Hello

I just added in the few Stocks and Index Fund and would like get a line graph showing historical performance of the group of them instead of individually.

Also trying to find way to compare against S&P 500, Dow and Russell.

I must be missing something. How do I get such a report.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

When you say historical performance, do you mean performance before you acquired these securities or after?

If you have Premier, you should be able to compare the performance of securities since you acquired them to various indexes using the Growth of $10,000 chart on the Investing > Performance tab.

But I have found Quicken's Growth of $10K calculations to be unreliable in some circumstances. Please review, comment, and vote on this Idea.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    Options

Another alternative would be to use the report at Reports >Investing > Investment Performance. The IRR calculations in this report are annualized, so the results for intervals less than one year will not generally be meaningful. Also this report does not have a comparison to indexes.

• David1231
    David1231 Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello @Jim_Harman

This would be a mix of both. It would be nice to see what some stocks have done prior to purchase and naturally how it does after purchase.

Does the Growth only work on total of all stocks reaching $10,000 and just Premier to use?

I tried the Performance Report only seems to do Year to Date.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Growth of $10,000 is a common way of comparing performance of multiple securities or portfolios. It shows what would have happened if you started with $10,000 of each item. Websites such as morningstar.com use it to let you compare the performance of multiple securities and indexes. See

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/growth-10k.asp

I believe the chart is only available in Quicken Premier and up.

You can set whatever date range and intervals you want in the Investment Performance Report. The intervals are set in the Subtotal by dropdown at the top of the report. As I said above, intervals of less than one year may not produce useful results.

Click on the gear at the top right of the report to select the accounts and securities to include.

This discussion has been closed.