Program is not recognizing and excluding transactions it has previously downloaded.

Options
DACluett
DACluett Member ✭✭

Program is not recognizing and excluding transactions it has previously downloaded.

Comments

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Which financial institution? Starting when? Using Express Web Connect or Web Connect? Which version of Quicken?

• DACluett
    DACluett Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

It's Canadian financial institutions, not just one account. Its involved chequing, saving, and credit card accounts from multiple different companies, so I don't think it's bank-specific, but something with Quicken. It doesn't let me manually match the transactions, as has been done in the past. I have had this data file since 2002. This problem has only really started in the new year. It has happened going to the bank website to manually download the transactions, and also using the One-Step Update.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

Very much sounds like a corrupt data file. Create a brand new data file as a test and try to replicate the problem in the new data file. If things work fine in the new (test) data file that will be a very strong indication that your mail file has become corrupted.

In the old data file, try a File Validation. If that doesn't help then try Super Validate. If that doesn't help do a File Copy using File —> Backup a Copy - Create a Copy.

What Rev # of Quicken are you running?

Also, and this could be very helpful…. Add the Downloaded ID to the columns visible in the Register. Do the duplicate transactions have different Downloaded IDs? Can you post some screen shots of this without showing private/sensitive information? There is no issue with posting the Downloaded IDs - they are of no use to anyone else.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Don't mix and match between One Step Update and Web connect downloading QFX files.
    Each of these processes creates a different "FITID" for each downloaded transaction. That means, the same transaction downloaded via OSU does not appear to be the same as downloaded by QFX. Results: duplicate transactions.
    Try and stick with one download method consistently and do manually review and accept downloaded transactions when using OSU.

The FITID (financial institution transaction ID) for each transaction can be made visible by adding the "Downloaded ID" column to your register.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

I concur that one should not unnecessarily switch between Web Connect and Express Web Connect and I assume that few people would do so often because it is a bit of an involved process. That being said, when I have had to switch from Express Web Connect back to Web Connect or when switching from Web Connect to EWC for the first time, I have found that the Downloaded IDs were, in fact, common, and did not result in duplicate transactions. This behaviour may depend on what system is generating the Downloaded IDs. They can be generated by the financial institution or Quicken/Intuit. I believe, in my case, they are all generated by the FI, and I get the same Downloaded IDs whether using Web Connect or Express Web Connect. That is, I can switch between download processes and not get duplicates. I deal with BMO Bank of Montreal and RBC Royal Bank. Others may have different experiences.

@DACluett

All the recommendations in my earlier post still apply. Try the validation and copy processes. Try a test file. Try validating that you get different Downloaded IDs and how do they differ when you get duplicate process. Stick with one download method when you do this.

One more question: can you elaborate on what you mean when you say you can't manually match transactions? I'm guessing what might be causing this is you want to manually match to a transaction that has already been associated with a Downloaded ID, and that is not permitted. Once a transaction in the register is mapped to a Downloaded ID, it is no longer available for manually matching.

Did you happen to unintentionally turn on the setting: Preferences —> Downloaded transactions —> After downloading transactions —> Automatically add to banking registers ?

If that setting is turned on, turn it off and see how that affects the behaviour you are experiencing.

That might be causing confusion here and making it appear there is a problem when there isn't one.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not sure if this is your issue but do keep in mind that Quicken only allows loading data once into the program. It tracks the FITID for each transaction loaded such that even if you delete a transaction, you can no longer load it back in via QFX, EWC, etc. UNLESS the FITID has changed (either assigned by the FI or Quicken). Sometimes different loading approaches will have a different FITID, but as has been pointed out, this is not always the case.

For a one-off situation, you can edit the QFX file (using a standard text editor) to manually assign your own FITID to force Quicken to reload. This can be a tedious workaround AND you really need to understand what you are doing and the possible implications. This ought not be used as an ongoing method.

If your problem is an ongoing issue, the root cause needs to be determined.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Arctic Hare
    Options

This is why I posed the question regarding the automatically enter in register setting. If that got switched on, the OP might not realize that the transaction did get download, matched and entered and may be trying to redownload and rematch. However, that would be the opposite behaviour of what I understood from the original post. Based on the original post, I understood that the OP was getting duplicate entries and based on a subsequent follow up post that they couldn't avoid the duplicate entries by manually matching. The latter makes sense because the transaction they are trying to match to would already have a Downloaded ID and not be available for manual matching. The cause of the duplicates is what is in question.

This discussion has been closed.