Reconciling Two Different Bank Statements for same month

Options

We switched banks so we have transactions through two different banks for a couple of months. How do I go about reconciling?

I manually enter our transactions because it's just easier with the way we use splits. I continued entering all our transactions into the same "checking" account even once we changed banks. So all of our information is in the same account. I am receiving two different banks statements from two different banks and do not know how to reconcile the two since its all in one account.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

Reconcile the stmt for the old acct first. The ending balance should be what you txfr'd to the new acct .. then reconcile using the stmt for the "new " acct

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• harrodfarmsllc
    Options

Does this work for multiple months? Won't it mess up the totals?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Multiple months should be reconciled in date order

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yikes, you should have set up a new bank account for the new bank. I would go back and fix it all. How would split transactions affect that. What are you splitting? If you are splitting a credit card payment there is a better way to enter that.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thinking about this some more. If you have 2 statements for the same Quicken account then combine them and add the balances together and reconcile to that.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with @volvogirl’s first statement, what should have been done is create another account. If you had closed the account(s) in the old account and then moved the cash to the new account that would be different.

You have set yourself up for failure. For instance, say you have a transfer from the old account/bank to the new account/bank, how would you record the transfer?

At a minimum you need one account in Quicken for every active real world account to have any chance of keeping everything straight.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • harrodfarmsllc
    Options

Ok so I went back and split the accounts. So I have two accounts now. Thank you for your help!

• harrodfarmsllc
    Options

My next issue is the new account is an Operating Line for our business so I don't know how to reconcile it because the amounts are essentially backwards from a "normal" account. Does that make sense?

This discussion has been closed.