How do I change bank login password, provided by my bank, to a different password that I assign?

Options
FPF
FPF Member

I can’t seem to find the answer to this, I’ve seen several posts that seem to ask the same question, but I don’t think the answer addresses what I am asking.

The question is: How do I change my bank login password, provided by my bank, to a different password that I assign? I’ve tried Accounts>settings >update login (putting in the existing and new passwords) but that doesn’t seem to work. My old password is retained. Too many tries and I’m locked out.

My bank can reset the password if I get locked out, but can’t assist in how to change the password. I’ve read about deactivate/activate, but how does that change the login password?

Help is appreciated.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @FPF,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When the update login option doesn't work, deactivating and reconnecting the account(s) forces Quicken to forget the old password so you can put the new one in. If you save passwords to your keychain, it should also update those saved passwords.

Before you deactivate any accounts, I recommend you backup your Quicken file. Once you have backed up your file, you can use the steps in this article to deactivate and reconnect the account(s).

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• FPF
    FPF Member
    Options

Thank you for your answer. I have already seen the activate/deactivate instructions as I said in my question, I need a little clarification. My bank provided me with a password, are you saying the activate/deactivate process will allow me to reset the bank provided password?

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2023
    Options

I don't think you can use Quicken to change the password your bank uses for your account, at least I don't recall seeing a way to do that. You have to use your bank's web site to get your password set to the value you want; once that's done you use the deactivate/activate process to tell Quicken what the new password is.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply @FPF,

As @Jon clarified, Quicken cannot change your bank password. To change the actual password you use to log into your financial institution, you would need to follow whatever process the financial institution has in place (most let you do it through their website, but some require you to contact their customer service). Once you have changed your password to what you want it to be, you would then need to update Quicken with the new credentials. That is when you would need to deactivate and reactivate the accounts in Quicken so that you can make sure Quicken has the updated information.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• FPF
    FPF Member
    Options

That answers my question, thanks to both of you.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach back out.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.