USAA - Quicken Balance vs Pending transactions (edit)

Options
mindtrip
mindtrip Member ✭✭

So this started within the last 3-6 months after an update. Reconciling downloads in Quicken is becoming problematic, as it is only downloading cleared transactions, but is then reporting account balances as the remainder after cleared AND pending transactions. So then I have to log into the bank in question, then record any pending transactions which Quicken then reconciles.

This is a problem because 1) I use quicken downloads to make my life more efficient. This is the opposite of efficiency and makes me wonder why I'm using Quicken at all, if I constantly have to log in to the banks to fix this;

2) These pending transactions include restaurant pre-charges, but don't include things like gratuity. So then when the actual charge including gratuity clears, Quicken will download it again as a different transaction and I have to go back and fix the previously saved one;

and 3) Quicken will download a cleared transaction for the same amount as a pended transaction that I had to enter manually, and doesn't recognize it's the same transaction because it already reconciled it and marked it with an "R", so I have to verify they're the same and delete the second downloaded transaction.

This happens with all of our USAA accounts, some credit cards, and some investment accounts. Quicken Support—can you please fix this????

Windows 11

Quicken version R50.15

Quicken build 27.1.50.15

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @mindtrip,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. This is a forum where users help each other. There are a small number of moderators, like myself, who can do some troubleshooting with you, but if you want to reach Quicken Support, you would need to reach out to them directly. The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

The issue with USAA showing pending transactions in the Online Balance is a known issue that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

You mentioned you are seeing this issue with some credit cards and investment accounts also. Which financial institution(s) are those accounts with?

Thank you.

(CTP-6246)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

This entire Balance vs Pending issue has popped up recently with several banks -

If you log into your bank online website, I'll bet you will see a Balance that matches the Quicken Balance, and you will also see several Pending transactions that are NOT downloaded, because the bank is NOT making them avail as they are PENDING.
    I think they are fudging the Balance in an effort to show the customer what their balance WILL BE after everything clears.
    I am seeing this with our CHASE accounts -

Quicken can only react to the actual data being downloaded - there is really nothing to fix - it's the bank doing it -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mindtrip
    mindtrip Member ✭✭
    Options

Perhaps—but Quicken has a contractual relationship with every bank from which it can download data, to ensure the proper functionality of this app we all pay for. Quicken needs to address the issue with the banks in question—they are still flagged as "pending" in the banks in question, and Quicken needs to recognize this flag. Additionally, some of these transactions are not showing up in my online balance until after they clear, such as restaurant transactions where the bank is waiting to see the final amount with gratuity, but Quicken still sees the base transaction and will actually download it, forcing me to correct it once it finally does show in my online bank account.

Saying "there's nothing Quicken can do, poor Quicken!" is factually incorrect.

• mindtrip
    mindtrip Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken Kristina,

Thank you for your reply. I did reach out to support directly through Quicken's "help" feature where you upload logs; is that sufficient, or do I still need to call?

Regarding other institutions, I'm afraid I don't recall at the moment. USAA is our primary bank so most of the time it's them, but I have seen it with other institutions as well. As our Incorrect Badger above notes, it's happening with Chase accounts, and we do have a Chase credit card as well so perhaps that's the one I'm thinking of.

Drew

• mindtrip
    mindtrip Member ✭✭
    Options

Oh, and I just saw the thread about Bank of America doing this as well, and we also have a BoA card.

This discussion has been closed.